advice on cheap, iSyncable phones?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hello all-

I'm not sure if mobile phones constitute part of the hub, but iSync has sort of put them into that category, so here goes: I've been thinking more and more of joining the 21st century and getting a mobile phone. My first tech-happy urge was to shell out for a top-of-the-line smartphone, but after a lot of thought I realize that my 4-year-old Handspring really fulfills all my PDA needs -- maintaining my address book, calender, a short to-do list, and playing a few very simple wasting-time-on-the-subway games (solitaire, yatzee, etc.). In fact, the only thing about it that really bugs me is the rather clunky integration between Palm OS and iSync/iCal/Address Book.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a relatively simple mobile phone that integrates well with iSync, iCal, and Address Book, and can play a few simple games. Either USB or Bluetooth synchronization is fine. I'm looking to spend less than $100 but willing to sign up for a year's contract or whatever to get a price that low. I should add that I live in the US and so would need a phone that would work here (I know that we in North America don't always have access to the latest and greatest cell phones.) Any advice from thrifty gadgeteers?

jf

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    If you're willing to sign up for a new contract with a provider you can get a Sony Ericsson T610/6 from Cingualr, ATTW, or T-Mobile for $99+. They also offer the Nokia 3650 which is also iSync compatible for a comparable price. If you don't want to sign up for a contract you can find a Sony Ericsson T68i for about $100 from different places on the net. Sprint is also offering a Sony Ericsson T608. It is going to be more expensive, but if GSM reception in your area sucks Sprint might be a better bet.

Hope that helps.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    scavangerscavanger Posts: 286member
    Ignore this message.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    for nokia phones, is it enough that they support syncML or do they have to be a series60 phone?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    jfruhjfruh Posts: 34member
    Hey all -- I've done some research and found a lot of complaints stating that the 610 does NOT sync with all-day events in iCal. Almost everything in my calender is an all-day event, so this wouldn't help me at all! Thanks for the suggestions but I'm going to keep on looking. (And yes, I knew about Apple's list of compatible phones when I posted this question ... but I wanted to hear the experiences of users.)

jf