Keynote: F-ing Amazing

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I make a lot of presentations, often to people with buttloads of money. I'm also, for all intents and purposes, as good of a graphic designer as you're going to find unless you want to drop some extravagant dollars.

Keynote is fvcking insanely great. Two things: Opacities and Alpha transparency. You don't even have to fiddle with the alpha stuff like you do in Quark. You just load the TIFF and it works like a champ: WAY BETTER THAN QUARK.

Now, Quark isn't the greatest thing ever, and, honestly, I wish I could layout stuff in Keynote.

At this point, I'm doing everything in Keynote and exporting powerpoints/PDFs to people in need.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i too love keynote.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Keynote...how sweet it is. Power point blows majorly compared to it. Gotta love the sweet software Apple is putting out. If they can outdo power point this well, just think of how great the Office Suite they are working on now is going to be. **DMBand crosses fingers**
  • Reply 3 of 30
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    It will be Office Sweet !
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Splinemodel,

I'm a little confused by your statement:

" You don't even have to fiddle with the alpha stuff like you do in Quark. You just load the TIFF and it works like a champ: WAY BETTER THAN QUARK. Now, Quark isn't the greatest thing ever, and, honestly, I wish I could layout stuff in Keynote."

Now I have to admit, I do not use Keynote but I thought Keynote was similair to PowerPoint which isn't anything at all like Quark. Quark is for building layouts and Keynote (or PowerPoint) is for Presentations isn't it? I could see you comparing InDesign to Quark but not Keynote to Quark.

I hope you aren't talking about laying out jobs that are going to be professionally printed in Keynote. I have heard wonderful things about Keynote but I can't image it being good for building layouts to be printed or is Keynote better than I imagined?
  • Reply 5 of 30
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    I could have got Keynote for £12 (as part of the Mac OS 10.2 Free for teachers deal in 2003) but I didn't.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I will need to do a PowerPoint presentation at the end of the semester that will be a major portion of my Conservation Bio grade. Is Keynote flawlessly compatible and by flawless I mean better than MacExcel to PCEcel, which loads Xs over where pictures of graphs are supposed to be in Word and Excel docs. I'm still pissed about that one, wasted a few hours of my time and almost gave me a heart attack and an ulcer last month!
  • Reply 7 of 30
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    anyone hear anything as to when keynote 2 might be coming? i just don't want it to slip into an "appleworks" kind of timetable for updates...
  • Reply 8 of 30
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

I will need to do a PowerPoint presentation at the end of the semester that will be a major portion of my Conservation Bio grade. Is Keynote flawlessly compatible and by flawless I mean better than MacExcel to PCEcel, which loads Xs over where pictures of graphs are supposed to be in Word and Excel docs. I'm still pissed about that one, wasted a few hours of my time and almost gave me a heart attack and an ulcer last month!

Don't know, but I can check it out for you if someone else doesn't have an answer for you.

edit: on topic, yes keynote rocks for presentation software. I love it and will never do another presentation in PeePee again.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Nope, it's not 100% by any means. Call it 80%. A lot of layout gets screwed up, *especially* with font sizes, etc.

Q: Does it HAVE to be *PowerPoint*, or can you bring in your own laptop?
  • Reply 10 of 30
    scavangerscavanger Posts: 286member
    Apple should release a Keynote Viewer for Windows/Linux. That would improve compatiblity a bit, and make Keynote more feasible in the Windows workplace.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by scavanger

Apple should release a Keynote Viewer for Windows/Linux. That would improve compatiblity a bit, and make Keynote more feasible in the Windows workplace.

They do. It's called Quicktime.

Seriously, though, Keynote's coolness lies in OS X's graphic strengths. I don't think Windows could do that easily.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I just received my Keynote last week (got it for $69 via that .Mac member promo, which, by the way, ends tomorrow).

Unfortunately, it's been an insanely hectic week or so and all I've done at this point is install it.

I did launch it once, really quickly, and just scooted around it for about 5 minutes. I can't wait to actually sit down and spend some real time with it. Maybe this weekend.

It certainly looks great!

I figured for that price, that's gotta be a good tool to have at my disposal. If it's half the quality and coolness of Apple's other software (the OS, the iApps, etc.) then it should be amazing.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    It is.

You know, this thread doesn't somehow seem complete... something's missing...

*snaps fingers* Where's Scott to trash on Keynote for not having advanced drawing tools??
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

It is.

You know, this thread doesn't somehow seem complete... something's missing...

*snaps fingers* Where's Scott to trash on Keynote for not having advanced drawing tools??

Maybe he's given up because you resoundingly shut him up with your assertions that there's no reason to draw in Keynote when you've got a bazillion other, more capable tools that Keynote can use. Good job getting him to finally acquiesce on something. That takes skill.
  • Reply 15 of 30

Naw, I'm just obstinate too.

Besides, you just *know* I jinxed it now.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    My battery dies at 85% now thanks to Battery Update and/or 10.3.2 (still with 10.3.3.) Oddly enough there aren't outlets that my adapter could reach it would just be too annoying. We'll see, I'll probably have to end up learning PowerPoint's nuances.. \
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Borrow an extension cord...the cool factor of Keynote is worth it.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Quote:

My battery dies at 85% now thanks to Battery Update and/or 10.3.2 (still with 10.3.3.) Oddly enough there aren't outlets that my adapter could reach it would just be too annoying. We'll see, I'll probably have to end up learning PowerPoint's nuances.. \

Couldn't you just buy a new battery? I know it sucks to have to pay over $100 for a battery, but it would make you portable again. :/ Start a paypal donation collection and I'd give you a dollar.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Keynote is fvcking insanely great. Two things: Opacities and Alpha transparency.

Try throwing in a QuickTime file with an embedded alpha. Now that will tighten a person's nutsack.

I've been using Keynote since it came out, and it utterly rocks...*EXCEPT*:

1) No hyperlinks between slides or to the web. This really, really sucks and was incredibly stupid of Apple to leave out. Even on a v.1.

2) No stand alone player for distribution. This is major. And QT is not an alternative as it just exports stills and the 'fancy' transitions as a linear stream. No good. I want a player that can act as Keynote acts...and I want it for Windows too. Do you know how many times I've dumbed down a beautiful Keynote presentation to PowerPoint? You don't want to.

Give me the above and I'll be able to toss PP forever.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Where's Scott to trash on Keynote for not having advanced drawing tools??

Well, I can do Scott's lines pretty well. Let's face it, Keynote's drawing and animation tools suck. Okay, so you can import drawings from something else. You cannot do simple things like have two objects disappear at the same time or one appear and another disappear. You have to create multiple slides for anything other than the simplest builds, which means if you change the location of something in one of the slides you have to go and correct all the others.

Keynote has a lot of potential, but it is painfully obvious that it is a 1.0 product (even at 1.1.1). That said, I expect that 2.0.1 really will blow PowerPoint out of the water.