970FX Maxing out @ 2.4ghz?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Link to the 970FX evaluation board page on IBMs home page.

Click on the "more" link after "Solution description" and you'll see this:

Quote:

The Momentum Computer Maple Evaluation System and board is a reference design and software development platform for the IBM PowerPC 970FX processor and CPC925 Bridge. The baseboard is an ATX form factor and contains two 970FX processors that can operate up to 2.4GHz. The evaluation system is available in two configurations; a complete packaged system and the baseboard only. More information is available at www.970eval.com

As a side note from the www.970eval.com page

Quote:

*PowerPC 970 NorthBridge.

Two point-to-point PowerPC interfaces, running at up to 1GHz.

As it seems unlikely that it's the CPC925 northbridge that is holding the 970FXs back, the conclution that it's the 970FX that is maxing out @ 2.4Ghz is not far off. Then of course perhaps Apple can get access to the pool of few CPUs that can clock over the specified "public" max Ghz rate, like with the 1.42Ghz 7455's.

[ed] Ahrrrg.... the title should be 970Fx Maxing out @ 2.4 Ghz[/ed]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Maybe Apple just has a non-thunder stealing clause in their 970 contract ? Maybe the 970FX, being quite new, will ramp quite further than 2.4 in the future ? (etc.)
  • Reply 2 of 14
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eric_Z

Link to the 970FX evaluation board page on IBMs home page.

Click on the "more" link after "Solution description" and you'll see this:

As a side note from the www.970eval.com page

As it seems unlikely that it's the CPC925 northbridge that is holding the 970FXs back, the conclution that it's the 970FX that is maxing out @ 2.4Ghz is not far off. Then of course perhaps Apple can get access to the pool of few CPUs that can clock over the specified "public" max Ghz rate, like with the 1.42Ghz 7455's.

[ed] Ahrrrg.... the title should be 970Fx Maxing out @ 2.4 Ghz[/ed] [/B]

The point your missing is that this is a specialty system and with this system you can get up to dual 2.4Ghz performance. This is an old document. This has nothing at all to do with the potential clock speed of the 970FX. Your wild speculation isn't even well founded.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    And why is it unlikely that the northbridge is the problem? Northbridge chips have all sorts of timing related things in them, any of which might restrict the whole chip's clock speed. The Apple G5's northbridge in particular obviously had heat problems -- just look at the heat sinks strapped to it in the current machines.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    I think this is the very same G5 130nm northbridge - just with an IBM logo on it.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    eric_zeric_z Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

And why is it unlikely that the northbridge is the problem? Northbridge chips have all sorts of timing related things in them, any of which might restrict the whole chip's clock speed.

Even with, say, a 1:6 or for that matter a 1:3 core clock:bus ratio set on the 970FX?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    The configurations will be like this, tomorrow!

single 2.2GHz

dual 2.4 GHz

dual 2.6GHz

This is just wishful thinking but still quite likely.I hope .
  • Reply 7 of 14
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eric_Z

Even with, say, a 1:6 or for that matter a 1:3 core clock:bus ratio set on the 970FX?

That really messes with chip performance, however, and wouldn't reflect well on the design.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Reminds me of the Pentium days were a 166 MHz Pentium on a 83 MHz bus was faster than a 200 MHz pentium on a 66 MHz bus!

If there is a penalty in the 970 going for a 1:3 FSB instead of a 1:2 and Apple has to use a 1:3 bus then they simply have to wait until the 970 speed gain is at least offsetting the penalty. Preferably it has to make more than that.

A 3 GHz 970/ 1 GHz bus "must" be faster than a 2GHz / 1Hz bus. My guess is a 2.7GHz/900 MHz is that as well but hardly a 2.1 GHz/700 MHz. How about a 2.4 GHz/800 MHz

I think it better that Apple have the nerves to wait out the 970 systems that will be a real improvments compared to the current ones as opposed to do a MHz number similar to Intels PIII to P4 smoke and mirrors
  • Reply 9 of 14
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

That really messes with chip performance, however, and wouldn't reflect well on the design.

So what's the upshot here, Programmer?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Big Mac

So what's the upshot here, Programmer?

i think the new northbridge-chipset will also be manufactured at 90nm .... so there shouldn't be a heat-problem. btw: do we have any info on the loction where the current apple-northbridge-chip is produced? however, the transition to 90nm could be a reason for possible delays but i can think of the Xserve to be one of the first products to use that chip. i for one would think about the possibility that apple will wait until they have enough 2.8GHz parts or something to get the wow-factor again when they come with new G5-systems...

[corrections by Brad]
  • Reply 11 of 14
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Krassy

i think the new northbridge-chipset will also be manufactured at 90nm .... so there shouldn't be a heat-problem. btw: do we have any info on the loction where the current apple-northbridge-chip is produced? however, the transition to 90nm could be a reason for possible delays but i can think of the Xserve to be one of the first products to use that chip. i for one would think about the possibility that apple will wait until they have enough 2.8GHz parts or something to get the wow-factor again when they come with new G5-systems...

At least as of MWSF '04, the Xserve controller was based on the 130nm process and was verified by an Apple Xserve representative to be completely different than the PowerMac controller. Now it doesn't mean that the hold-up couldn't be because of transitioning to the 90nm controller . . . doing so could be blamed on "better" cooling capabilities. Not cooling problems, but we all know how the press mangles things, right.

edit (the controller is built at IBM's East Fishkill Foundry, according to that same Apple Rep.)

[corrections by Brad]
  • Reply 12 of 14
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    How was it written? xServe?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

How was it written? xServe?

or XServe, Brad is crack'n down on that lately, so hopeufully people won't keep screwing it up. Geez people these days
  • Reply 14 of 14
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member
    Thanks Brad. My bad.