disk full error - tried moving system folder

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My hard disk is divided into 2 volumes. My system folder was in the smaller volume which is now full. I copied my system folder into my other volume which has more room. I then set the control panel for start-up from the new location. Even though I should be running out of the larger volume, I am still getting disk full errors when I attempt certain tasks like printing a PDF.

I hesitate to delete my system folder from the original smaller location until I get it working from the new roomier location. I would appreciate any help because I can't get my work done today.

Thanks. Karen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by treewife

My hard disk is divided into 2 volumes. My system folder was in the smaller volume which is now full. I copied my system folder into my other volume which has more room. I then set the control panel for start-up from the new location. Even though I should be running out of the larger volume, I am still getting disk full errors when I attempt certain tasks like printing a PDF.

I hesitate to delete my system folder from the original smaller location until I get it working from the new roomier location. I would appreciate any help because I can't get my work done today.

Thanks. Karen.

What OS are you running? If you're running OS X, you can't just move the folder. You need to get Carbon Copy Cloner to successfully move it. If it's OS 9, you should be able to move it without a problem. BTW, welcome to AI and this is Genius Bar material
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

...welcome to AI and this is Genius Bar material

What he said.

That torifile is one smart cookie!

Moving...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

What OS are you running? If you're running OS X, you can't just move the folder. You need to get Carbon Copy Cloner to successfully move it. If it's OS 9, you should be able to move it without a problem. BTW, welcome to AI and this is Genius Bar material

I'm running OS 9.1.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    what kind of computer do you have and how big is the hard drive?

some older apple computers need to have the system folder in the first 8 gigs of physical hard drive space...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

what kind of computer do you have and how big is the hard drive?

some older apple computers need to have the system folder in the first 8 gigs of physical hard drive space...

I have a G4 which came with a 10GB drive. My drive is divided into 2 volumes: a 2 GB, which holds my system folder and is full, and an 8 GB, which holds my data, and is 60% empty. I also have an additional 30 GB drive which is internally installed and has lots of room. Thanks for your reply.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Copy the System Folder to your second hard drive, and then delete it from its original location as you will then have TWO backup copies.

Try setting that second drive as your Startup Drive and see if that makes a difference.

Lastly, turn off Virtual Memory in the memory control panel. You can turn it back on again later when things are working properly. VM uses a big and invisible swapfile which is probably taking up a lot of space on your hard drive.