What should I do with my mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I will be getting my new mac soon. I has a lot of software I don't need on it. Should I wipe it out. Would upgrading it to panther have the option of wiping the system out to original configuration and get panther at the same time?Would OS9 still be bootable? thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zodiac

I will be getting my new mac soon. I has a lot of software I don't need on it. Should I wipe it out. Would upgrading it to panther have the option of wiping the system out to original configuration and get panther at the same time?Would OS9 still be bootable? thanks.

In case you haven't seen it yet, there's a great video that Brad made showing the incredibly intricate process of uninstalling programs on OS X. Here it is. Now, if you can follow that process (I know it's hard but it's doable), you don't need to format it.

Now, as for upgrading to Panther - if it's new, it will have Panther pre-installed. If it's used, you can do a clean install and start from a clean slate. There's no real reason to clean install if you haven't used the machine yet but there's no real reason not to, either. It's up to you.

OS 9 bootability depends on what machine you're getting. Many new machines won't do it, irrespective of what version of OS X is running on it. 10.3 or 10.2 don't prevent OS 9 booting, it's the firmware. If you tell us what machine you're getting, we'll be able to tell you if you can boot OS 9. Good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    hack the planet man.

sorry just watched hackers again, My how angelina joile has changed.

What ever you decide to do with your mac you can rest assured you'll get a lot more done.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

In case you haven't seen it yet, there's a great video that Brad made showing the incredibly intricate process of uninstalling programs on OS X. Here it is. Now, if you can follow that process (I know it's hard but it's doable), you don't need to format it.

Now, as for upgrading to Panther - if it's new, it will have Panther pre-installed. If it's used, you can do a clean install and start from a clean slate. There's no real reason to clean install if you haven't used the machine yet but there's no real reason not to, either. It's up to you.

OS 9 bootability depends on what machine you're getting. Many new machines won't do it, irrespective of what version of OS X is running on it. 10.3 or 10.2 don't prevent OS 9 booting, it's the firmware. If you tell us what machine you're getting, we'll be able to tell you if you can boot OS 9. Good luck.

This mac has jaguar and its OS9 bootable. It's a MDD G4.Not super NEW but in mint condition. Oh and uninstalling programs looks SO hard.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by zodiac

Oh and uninstalling programs looks SO hard.

I know! Right?!

For the new Mac OS X users, I have an explanation here: Uninstalling Apps on Mac OS X.