Opera 7.50 Preview 3 for Mac quietly released

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
And I thought they stopped developing for Mac...

Anyways, this thread over at My Opera has the information.

Quote:

=== Release notes ===

This release is unfinished and unsupported beta-quality software. It cannot be registered, but will not expire. This release requires Mac OS X 10.1 or later. We recommend always using the latest operating system updates. Please use the latest release of Macromedia Flash.

=== Planned Enhancements for 7.50 Final ===

* Support for Unicode keyboard layouts

* Synchronization with Address book

* Support for Liveconnect

=== Major New Features ===

* Presto! *

This release sports Opera 7's Presto rendering engine. The rendering engine was rebuilt from scratch for blazing fast speed, improved standards support, and bidirectional text display. Check out our documentation for an overview of our standards support.

* Opera Mail *

Also in this release is Opera Mail (the e-mail client formerly known as M2), Opera's revolutionary e-mail, news, and newsfeed client. This is the first time Opera for Mac includes the ability to manage your personal messages. With Opera Mail, Opera takes the work out of organizing your messages, making it easier to find and deal with the messages that matter to you most.

* Opera Chat *

Opera now has experimental support for IRC, our first protocol back-end for Chat. You can easily setup a chat account Chat menu by selecting "New account". Chat channel and server information is shown in the Chat panel. Additionally, you can use Chat > List rooms (Cmd+Alt+J) to list available channels once you've connected to a server. To aid in testing and to give Opera enthusiasts a place to hang out, we have setup our own IRC network: OperaNet. There are currently two servers: irc.opera.com and irc.se.opera.com.

* Mac OS X Integration *

In addition to our integration with Keychain, information is imported from Address book to contacts for use with Opera Mail. Your Safari bookmarks will automatically be imported, too. With the Mac Native skin, Opera follows the look of your operating system. Opera 7 will tell you if you have a stored password for the current site by highlighting the username/password fields. Login information can then be retrieved by clicking the Wand icon or by using the keyboard shortcut Cmd+Enter.

A detailed list of changes is available at http://snapshot.opera.com/mac/m750p3.html#detail.

Please check the above link of the post (http://my.opera.com/forums/showthrea...threadid=47996) to download the browser.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i am using it side-by-side with safari. good news, it's 1000% better than opera 6.x. the bad news is that isn't saying much.

it does seem very fast, but the interface is just, well, coming from a guy who works with this stuff regularly, and has 5-10 browsers at any given time, the interface is like a rugby scrum. you know there's a ball in there SOMEwhere, just gotta figure out where it is...

it'll be interesting to see where this goes. i do like the fact that they will show targeted google ads in the top bar, which, all-in-all, is MUCH less annoying than the old "your banner here" philosophy they tried (plus, i don't mind supporting google).
  • Reply 2 of 6
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Overall, I'm not impressed. Not at all. Speed is so-so. Interface is horrible. Prefs are like Netscape. Thanks, but no thanks. OmniWeb for me.

The icon:

First start of Opera:

Browsing over to AI, it asks me if it can use my keychain to log in:

Unfortunately, this doesn't work. So I type it in myself. (Ups. I should've pressed cmd-enter there. I'm used to OW filling it out.) However, the 'login' button doesn't pulsate at all:

The preferences, like Netscape in v4:

And finally, this thread:

If that was a almost complete rewrite, then what would've happened if it was a full one? Hmm. \

I'm glad though that they came off their high horse and did something for the Mac. Even if I won't use it.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, it is a preview release, practically without fanfare. though the preferences are a bit lackluster. omniweb is still a favorite of mine, though.

(p.s. and off the other thread about favorite and least favorite icons, opera ranks down there, pure marketing....)
  • Reply 4 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    at least they moved everything inside of the application instead of having a folder to keep everything nested in...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Not everything, Paul. I just found an Opera preferences pane in ~/Library/PreferencePanes/. \
  • Reply 6 of 6
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    By the way, is there any word on when the final OmniWeb 5 comes out?