aluminum sucks!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My 15" AlBook now has a big dent in the side and the bottom casing has bent away from the side below the latch. Fortunately is still works ok.

It was in a Mareware neoprene padded sleeve which was in a padded record bag when it toppled less than 12 inches off a chair. It fell so slowly that I didn't even bother to check it, I thought it must be fine.

Any chance something like that is covered by AppleCare? Or how much is replacing the base casing going to cost?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I'll trade you if don't want it. My iBook is a bit scratched but no dents!

No, AppleCare doesn't cover superficial stuff particularly if you dropped it.

There is a decent website for parts:

http://www.pbparts.com/

Check here:

http://www.pbparts.com/shop/_al
  • Reply 2 of 28
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    thanks for the link, that's about what I thought it would cost, at least I won't have to send it in (I've already returned it 3 times for screen and latch problems).

Any idea how much Apple would charge for that repair?
  • Reply 3 of 28
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Okay, whatcha do is remove the case (c'mon, how hard could it *be*? ), and grab yerself a ball peen hammer...
  • Reply 4 of 28
    yes, I'm planning to do it myself. I'm just curious to know how much they would charge...
  • Reply 5 of 28
    maybe you should have gotten some insurance there?

http://www.safeware.com

someone here referred me to it. It seems like quite a good company, prices are reasonable as well, 1,500 dollar coverage for 40 bucks a year in NY. You can choose the amount to cover. It covers accidentle damage and many other damages that applecare wouldn't cover. But it doesn't cover manufactered defects... sigh... looks like I would have to get both...

They cover:

Comprehensive coverage, including:

- Accidental Damage

- Theft

- Power surge and lightning regardless of source

- Vandalism

- Water damage

- Natural disasters

30-day trial period - (Not available in Texas)

Complete repair or replacement of computer system with no deduction for depreciation

Optional deductibles

Coverage at home, in the office or in transit

Replaces preinstalled software

This policy protects in so many ways, but it does not cover these major losses:

Wear and tear, gradual deterioration, depreciation, or original defects

Loss of income or interruption of business

Any preinstalled data or media which cannot be replaced with other of like kind or quality on the current retail market

Mechanical breakdown or faulty construction

Loss or damage from fraudulent, dishonest or criminal acts by the owner or user

Systems rented or leased to others
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Why do brits say it like al-you-mini-um?

Why the extra i?

i digress.....
  • Reply 7 of 28
    that's weird, 'cos I'm British but took extra care not to spell it that way since I live in New York now.

I have no idea.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonfj

that's weird, 'cos I'm British but took extra care not to spell it that way since I live in New York now.

I have no idea.

Thanks you helped be realize that they also spell it differently! "Aluminium". I thought it was merely a different pronunciation of "Aluminum".
  • Reply 9 of 28
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Why the extra i?

You're asking the wrong question, johnq. The question should be: Why are these crazy Americans taking every European word and spelling and/or pronouncing it incorrectly. Aluminium is the correct spelling. I have no idea why Americans drop the second i. Some more examples that rub me the wrong way:

What on earth is a "connoisseur?" It should be connaisseur, like it is in French.

What is "miniscule" supposed to mean? It should be minuscule.

And the list goes on....

American freaks!

Back on topic: The fact that Aluminium can dent is one of the main reaons (aside from price) why I am still considering an iBook G4 over a 12-inch PowerBook. This even though I want DVI-out and out-of-the-box clamshell operation, which only the PowerBook brings.

Escher
  • Reply 10 of 28
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Why the extra i?

i digress.....

the element is aluminium in every language but american english...
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

You're asking the wrong question, johnq. The question should be: Why are these crazy Americans taking every European word and spelling and/or pronouncing it incorrectly. Aluminium is the correct spelling. I have no idea why Americans drop the second i.

I remember my high school chemistry teacher answering this question. A quick Google search verified my rusty memory:

Quote:

Wohler is generally credited with having isolated the metal in 1827, although an impure form was prepared by Oersted two years earlier. In 1807, Davy proposed the name alumium for the metal, undiscovered at that time, and later agreed to change it to aluminum. Shortly thereafter, the name aluminium was adopted to conform with the "ium" ending of most elements, and this spelling is now in use elsewhere in the world. Aluminium was also the accepted spelling in the U.S. until 1925, at which time the American Chemical Society officially decided to use the name aluminum thereafter in their publications.

Stupid, arrogant Americans.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    go ACS (american chemical society)...

go ACS...

go ACS....

Too bad it isn't American anymore... It is the world's largest Scientific Society...

I was once a card carrying member, but i let my dues lapse
  • Reply 13 of 28
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Waaaaay OT, but...

Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

What on earth is a "connoisseur?" It should be connaisseur, like it is in French.

That's how it is in French now. "Connoisseur" was how the word was spelled when it spilled into English centuries ago. If you read e.g. Rabelais in the original French you'll see oi for ai everywhere. The name "François" is another example, as is "Quebecois."

Similarly, you'll see lots of spelling before diacriticals were introduced: mesme for même, that sort of thing.

(Three years of French lit has to be good for something...)
  • Reply 14 of 28
    All of you, I never said we were saying it the "right" way or they were saying it the "wrong" way.

It's language - it morphs and evolves and gets sloppy.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonfj

It fell so slowly that I didn't even bother to check it, I thought it must be fine.

Something stopped it from the average 9.8m/s?

Just playing man that sucks, that is why...well I can't find the thread about how I put my body before my powerbook when I fell down the stairs, but I was slightly sore all to keep my baby safe. The aluminum is slightly fragile but you have to be careful, it is a pricey investment to not baby.

I'm not saying it's your fault or you didn't take care of it, just going off on a tangent. Good luck fixing it
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Something stopped it from the average 9.8m/s

I think you mean 9.8m/(s^2), smart guy.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Oh yeah, thanks for helping me with my chemistry homework from last year Brad.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    I love how people drop or accidentally damage their goods and blame the machine for it. Damn that Powerbook - carelessly jumping off the table again!

Just kidding man!

ast3r3x: hahaha - what a funny story! My sentiments exactly though - I will break both legs before I let any harm come to my PB.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    hmmfehmmfe Posts: 79member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I think you mean 9.8m/(s^2), smart guy.

or rather 32.15ft/sec/sec. Us silly arrogant Americans...
  • Reply 20 of 28
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Waaaaay OT, but... That's how it is in French now. "Connoisseur" was how the word was spelled when it spilled into English centuries ago.

Hey. Thanks for the linguistics lesson, Amorph. Even though I am a French citizen and native speaker, I am not very well read.

Still, I can't stand all these oddly different American spellings, even after 10 years of assimilation.

Back on topic: I am starting to wonder whether Apple LCD collection will jump on the Aluminium bandwagon soon too. The rumors sure sound like we'll see Aluminium Cinema Displays shortly.

Escher