Vnc Help!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey guys,

Ok here's the deal. I have a PowerMac G4 running OSXvnc and a PowerBook running COTVNC. I have the vnc server set to work on port 5900. I have my router set to forward ports 5800 - 5905 to my PowerMac and my firewall on my PowerMac is currently turned off. When I try to connect using OSXvnc I get a 'Permission Denied: connect()' error. Does anyone have any ideas. I have run out of ideas on what to try and do. Thanks in advance.

Brian

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    fulmerfulmer Posts: 171member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DCmac32

Hey guys,

Ok here's the deal. I have a PowerMac G4 running OSXvnc and a PowerBook running COTVNC. I have the vnc server set to work on port 5900. I have my router set to forward ports 5800 - 5905 to my PowerMac and my firewall on my PowerMac is currently turned off. When I try to connect using OSXvnc I get a 'Permission Denied: connect()' error. Does anyone have any ideas. I have run out of ideas on what to try and do. Thanks in advance.

Brian

I think there is a setting in OSXvnc that is set for auto login or something like that... It's been a while since I've used it so don't quote me (or thrash me) if I'm wrong...
  • Reply 2 of 8
    noleli2noleli2 Posts: 129member
    I get that error occasionally. When I try to connect again (2-3 times or so), it works eventually.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    No matter how many times I try to reconnect, I still get the same error. Any other thoughts.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    What version of OS X on the G4 and what version of OSXVNC?

Seems there's been some changes (at all ends with software upgrades to the OS and VNC), and the best combination I have is Jaguar with OSXVNC v1.3 - as Panther has some issues, especially if you have VNC set on startup. Also, try using port 5901 instead of 5900 (not that it should matter...).
  • Reply 5 of 8
    On a somewhat related note...

I've never used Chicken of the VNC; so, I don't know how well (or if) it does encryption.

Perhaps you should consider piping it over SSH?

Securing a Remote VNC Session with SSH

Just a thought.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

On a somewhat related note...

I've never used Chicken of the VNC; so, I don't know how well (or if) it does encryption.

Perhaps you should consider piping it over SSH?

Securing a Remote VNC Session with SSH

Just a thought.

Out of curiosity, what's the advantage of adding "-C" in there. I had seen other instructions on how to do this (on a page far less pretty than yours), which I've been using, and there was no use of compression.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gabid

Out of curiosity, what's the advantage of adding "-C" in there. I had seen other instructions on how to do this (on a page far less pretty than yours), which I've been using, and there was no use of compression.

i just checked out the man page for my ssh (which might be a little different than yours, since i'm running gentoo these days), but it says that -C forces all inputs and outputs to be compressed using gzip. It also says that for modem or other slow connections this may help with speed, but for fast connections it may do more harm than good.

you can check out your man page by typing the following in terminal:

man ssh | less '+/-C'

then hit enter (note: the '+/-C' is literally how that should be typed). that will get the manual page for ssh, push it into less, then search for '-C' in the man page. If your man page doesn't jump to something which immediately describes the '-C' option, you can hit 'n' once or a few times to jump ahead to where it probably will.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    dcmac32dcmac32 Posts: 67member
    Thanks for all the ideas so far guys. I am running 10.3.3 on both the PowerBook and the PowerMac. I haven't tried the different port yet, but I will do that when I get back.

Also, the startup does do weird things to the VNC, because when I had it as a startup item, it wouldn't even connect, then when I dissabled it and manually started it, it would just tell me permission denied.

I'm not sure how secure Chicken of the VNC is either, not really a huge deal to me yet, as I am just experimenting with it, but I plan on checking out the ssh article.

Thanks,

Brian