The Super-SuperDrive for the next PM Gen.?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all,

just read that Pioneer will launch it's first DVD+R9 burner in July - would be in time for the dual 3 GHz PowerMacs that SJ promised, wouldn't it?

BTW, to all of you who don't know what DVD+R9 means: Those are double-layered DVDs that can store up to 8.5 Gigabytes (theoritically, in reality the number will be more like 8 GB)

greetz,

durandal

Edit: I read the news at the german computer news page heise.de:

http://heise.de/newsticker/meldung/45751

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Yes. Dual layer Drives will be upon us shortly. Sony also announced a DLD drive starting at $230.

We still need more info though. Will DVD Studio Pro be able to write correct layer changes on these drives? That's a biggie. Producers need to be able to proof their DVD-9 projects and doing it on a dual layer DVD will make their lives a lot easier.

If there were any doubts about DVD Recording they're gone now. We have low-cost 4x drives now. 8x drives and soon 16x Single Layer and 8x Dual Layer coming. The choices are great!
  • Reply 2 of 26
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I thought there was some sort of hack that turned the existing Pioneer 4x drives into dual-layer burners anyway?
  • Reply 3 of 26
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

I thought there was some sort of hack that turned the existing Pioneer 4x drives into dual-layer burners anyway?

Supposedly at CES Pioneer demonstrated a firmware update used on the 106 or 107 (can't remember which) would allow burning to dual layered disks. I say supposedly because only two sites reported this, and they were both french. You would think news this big would have hit a few more sites. But at the same time, how could they make up something like that. Too many people could say "stupid french, I was at CES and Pioneer had nothing of the sort". If they made it up, it would be easy enough for people to point out and cry foul.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Does dual layer burning use traditional DVD-R or special DLD media? I am ready to have the RevB with 8x SuperDrive... or do you think we will stick to the 4x?
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

Does dual layer burning use traditional DVD-R or special DLD media? I am ready to have the RevB with 8x SuperDrive... or do you think we will stick to the 4x?

Special media. You can't use a traditional dvd-r disk, as it only has the one layer. There is no second layer to be burned
  • Reply 6 of 26
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kupan787

Special media. You can't use a traditional dvd-r disk, as it only has the one layer. There is no second layer to be burned

Didn't think so... that would be TOO easy. Any idea of the cost? I googled it a bit and did not see a price for the media...
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

Didn't think so... that would be TOO easy. Any idea of the cost? I googled it a bit and did not see a price for the media...

I doubt any are made yet, as there is nothing that could use it currently. They will also probably be pretty expensive at first (I could see it being like $5 a disk, like DVD-Rs were originally).
  • Reply 8 of 26
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

8x Dual Layer coming. The choices are great!

8x dual-layer where? Phillips? Sneaky advertising actually. The 8x dual-layer burner burns 8x DVD+R, but only 2.4x DVD+R9.

The upcoming Pioneer and Sony DVD+R9 drives only write at 2.4x as well.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Apple doesn't do +R; they will wait until dual layer -R is available.

SuperDrive Extreme anyone?
  • Reply 10 of 26
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    More like the Super Happy Lucky Drive!

In all seriousness, it would rawk to have Macs come with dual layer capable burners. Unfortunately for me, it would be a tad hard to justify two new computers in one year

Barto
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

More like the Super Happy Lucky Drive!

Do not taunt the Super Happy Fun Drive.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CryhavocQ

Do not taunt the Super Happy Fun Drive.

LOL!
  • Reply 13 of 26
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

And they should, since the plus media doesn't work in very many DVD players.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

And they should, since the plus media doesn't work in very many DVD players.

That is BS. + work in like 70-80% or something and - work in 80-90%. I forget what the extact %'s were, but it was something like that. You can't say they won't work with alot, because they do, but just not as many as -.

Pet Peev: Calling it DVD minus R or DVD dash R. It's just DVDR just like it's CDR. Since + is a different thing from the original, you have to say it different. My feelings
  • Reply 15 of 26
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

I think the only reason they use -R single layer is because of Pioneer. I personally think that if it wasn't for pioneer +R would be more common.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    seanlseanl Posts: 39member
    70%-80% or 80%-90% just isn't good enough considering it's an all or nothing proposition when a potential client receives something they cannot view. This is a huge disappointment to me.

This is about the state of DVD technology and it's implementation, not Apple or Apple's fault.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    mordakmordak Posts: 168member
    I wouldn't waste my time with Sony DVD-R/+R drives anymore. The lot fo them have difficulty reading some DVD discs. For whatever reason, it reads *most* discs perfectly fine, but some they just cannot read, such as the LotR Extended DVD Edition. Many Sony drives share that problem. I would steer away from Sony cd-rom drives.

Also, I'll get my new DVD burner (Superdrive) when I get my new PB in a month when the next gens are released, but before I purchase another DVD-R drive, I will wait until the new HD DVD or Blu-ray disc drives come out. Those use blue lasers and can burn up to 50GB on a single disc. The red light of current dvd lasers has a wavelength of 650nm, but the new blue lasers have only 405nm. The shorter the wavelength, the more bursts the laser can produce in a given amount of time. Plus, the burn marks on the actual disc are smaller, so you can fit even more data. You can fit about 27GB on a single side of a disc, but some sources give different information. You could buy one of these drives for about $3500 from Sony Japan if you really want to. Unfortunately, theres 2 incompatible formats coming out that both use the blue lasers.... Anyways, that's my next DVD purchase.

Can anyone tell me the difference between -R and +R?
  • Reply 18 of 26
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mordak

Can anyone tell me the difference between -R and +R?

From what i have read it take it that -r dvds can only be written once or for one session also i think the data is written in order. dvd +r can have multiple sessions written on randam places.

someone correct me if im wrong
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Is this any relation to the super-dooper drive which superman has been using for years to publish his comics? Just curious...
  • Reply 20 of 26
    what about dvd rw drives? why doesn't apple sell those as an option?