XServer for Education

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just checked out the edu pricing. very nice.

$2499, $3499, $6824

Education is gonna eat this up. I know our district here will. They hated buying a PC servers when the clients were 100% mac. they had to send all the admins for trainings and the servers really are shit.

I think Apple has a hit in the education market. Not sure with the other ones. I wonder how many eMacs can netboot off of one XServe?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Think about this :

eMacs running iMovie sending and recieveing DV video from an Xserve and being able to do it from any computer anywhere. And coupled with a few iBooks.

You have the school I would like to go to
  • Reply 2 of 7
    My school is nothing like this. We're so technologically behind the curve that it's embarassing. After a Mac-only solution for nearly 10 years, the district finally hired a "technology coordinator." Of course, the first thing she did was hatch a plan to phase out Macs in favor of Dells. YOU should see how much space they take up in our district It's totally intrusive on the learning process. Dell technology is getting in the way, while eMacs and iMacs remain unordered. This is terrible. An Xserve, iMac, eMac hardware solution along with OS X, PowerSchool, and Remote Desktop software solution would place our district technologically ahead of the curve.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>I think Apple has a hit in the education market. Not sure with the other ones. I wonder how many eMacs can netboot off of one XServe?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I would guess at least one classroom worth to as many as 3 or 4 classsrooms. (Depending on class size.)
  • Reply 4 of 7
    When will people learn, that in a school enviroment the mac is the ideal computer. If it crashes, you just reboot it most of the time, and repairing other problems are things that normal teachers can handle. At a nearby highschool they recently switched over from mac to pc and for the amount of mac computers that they had it only took 1 person to take care of them all, now there are three people running around all day trying to fix all the windows computers. The initial cost of macs really pay off in a school.

Plus, it is a heck of a lot easier for a student to use a mac, and more importantly its a lot harder for them to mess it up. Windows has hundreds of little files working together, and if you were to delete just a couple lines from a "random" text file it could screw up the whole system and need a fresh install of windows/setting up of network.

When will they learn?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    [quote]Originally posted by MicrosoftOsXp:

<strong>

When will they learn?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Most people in low to mid level network IT positions aren't exactly brilliant people. They choose PC because that's what they were trained on, so it makes sense to them.

I agree with the concept that PC's require in maintenance an extreme amount of capital, enough so to make their low inital cost a poor argument for buying them.

Edit:

To add to the original post, at 2500 + 500 for personally installed upgrades and/or the faster graphics card option, I'm tempted.

That would be an absolutely awesome machine that would match my Titanium PowerBook. I don't think I'll buy one, but if I hadn't bought the Rx-7 I would.

[ 05-17-2002: Message edited by: Splinemodel ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Damn I remember when Performas for the home cost more than the entry level Edu Xserve. I mean eventually future versions of the Xserve will be 2499 entry level consumer and 1999 Edu. Cool...I'm liking this alot.

sjpsu- I feel for you. Sounds like the school dist hired a PC Drone. Whe probably wants job security and that is with Wintel because the schools support costs will most certainly rise.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong>Damn I remember when Performas for the home cost more than the entry level Edu Xserve.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ah, those were the days. Imagine what we'd have to pay for Pentium-crushing power these days!