SCI-Fi Channel Picks Up 'Andromeda'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Sci-Fi Channel is re-running previously viewed episodes of Gene Roddenberry's 'Andromeda'. After the previously viewed episodes are shown, new episodes are coming.

I didn't like 'Andromeda' when it first aired, but I'm willing to give it another shot.

Thoughts? For/Against?

Couldn't wish for a more controversial thread, could you?

Aries 1B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    It was a really lame show from the beginning. Now, the other show they ran for several years about the alien overlords was interesting (to me). If you want to see the Andromeda concept done right then look no farther than the Brit sci-fi show "Blakes Seven". Overacting? Yes. Hilariously bad stunt scenes? Yes. Special effects that make you wince? Yes.

But the overarching storylines were GOOD.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I never seen Andromeda, dispite that i am a sci-fi nuts. I guess it's an old serie, Gene Roddemberry died some years ago.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    OK, what gives? I just heard about that show 3 weeks ago. I've seen 3 epicodes and am starting to get hooked. I thought it was new.\
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aries 1B

Sci-Fi Channel is re-running previously viewed episodes of Gene Roddenberry's 'Andromeda'. After the previously viewed episodes are shown, new episodes are coming.

I didn't like 'Andromeda' when it first aired, but I'm willing to give it another shot.

Thoughts? For/Against?

Couldn't wish for a more controversial thread, could you?

Aries 1B

Actually it's a pretty cool show. And like Blake's Seven (the effects were typical BBC but the acting wasn't THAT bad...) and Babylon 5 it takes a little to grow on you. I'm glad they are keeping it running a while longer. I wish they hadn't WIMPED out over picking up a B5 spinoff myself. I always did like Crusade...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Ebby I think that Andromeda is about five years old (or so). I suppose that the reason that I'm tired of new space-based sci-fi shows is that most of them smell the same. They all have to establish the nature of their own universe and the creatures which dwell within...and they all tend to "get it wrong" as they do so. The gratuitous creation of new alien societies in every episode gets tiresome. I prefer to stay longer with a society and learn the ins and outs of its people; character development over endless exposition.

I never got into Babs-5, but I know that it developed an interesting web of interaction between humans and aliens. I hope to pick up the show sometime in the future.

What's interesting is that Star Trek Deep Space 9 kind of fits the profile I described above, but I wasn't a diehard fan of that show. So, it also has to do with the characters, the settings and such.

Maybe I just like bad special effects?

Don't let me stop you from watching it, the show has a great number of fans. Kevin Sorbo is a genuinely nice guy too.