New logins on 10.3 - how do I give them internet access?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My daughter's choice of desktops has finally decided me that my kids need their own user accounts. I've created these and set them to have "No limits". However, I can't find an easy way to give them access to my internet account. There must be an easier way than installing the modem drivers again while logged into each account. ( I've got much the same problem transferring their songs from my admin iTunes library to their individual ones. )

I'm using 10.3 and am on broadband.

Help please.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I don't understand why they can't access the internet from their accounts. That doesn't make sense to me at all. Go into your system preferences and into the Network pane, what does it say about the internet connection in there? My Cube at home has 5 user accounts and no one has ever had problems accessing the internet from any of them, and 3 of the 5 accounts have limits set. So I can't help you much there, however, if you want a (not so) easy way to let everyone have access to your tunes, here is a detailed link describing exactly how to pull that off. It's not all that difficult, but be careful when you're messing with some of this stuff, it can get real ugly real fast if you aren't careful.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jimdadjimdad Posts: 209member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I don't understand why they can't access the internet from their accounts. That doesn't make sense to me at all. Go into your system preferences and into the Network pane, what does it say about the internet connection in there? My Cube at home has 5 user accounts and no one has ever had problems accessing the internet from any of them, and 3 of the 5 accounts have limits set. So I can't help you much there, however, if you want a (not so) easy way to let everyone have access to your tunes, here is a detailed link describing exactly how to pull that off. It's not all that difficult, but be careful when you're messing with some of this stuff, it can get real ugly real fast if you aren't careful.

You were right, DM. I was being pretty stupid.

Although I have b/band it is through a USB modem ( BTYahoo in UK) and I have to connect before I try to open Safari. Because the icon didn't appear in the menu bar I assumed that some of the necessary files were in my home folder and that I had some installing to do whereas a quick visit to Internet Connect allowed me to "show modem status " and that was enough.

Thanks for putting me right.

I'm not sure that I'll try the iTunes workaround. It looks pretty intricate for what I need. I think I'll just manually shift the actual files into their accounts - I don't listen to much of their music anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I like the Unix environment because problems like this can be usually be solved, or solved partway, by hacking... BUT...

Why hasn't Apple made their software work properly in the first place? It's just silly to have fast user switching, when even Apple's commonest in-house software breaks because of it.

Since I first saw it, I thought the iTunes "library" design is not good from technical standpoint. This is a manifestation of that problem. They should really keep the database and the actual music files separate as default... it's pretty obvious people will want to use all the music from whatever account.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimdad

You were right, DM. I was being pretty stupid.

Although I have b/band it is through a USB modem ( BTYahoo in UK) and I have to connect before I try to open Safari. Because the icon didn't appear in the menu bar I assumed that some of the necessary files were in my home folder and that I had some installing to do whereas a quick visit to Internet Connect allowed me to "show modem status " and that was enough.

Thanks for putting me right.

I'm not sure that I'll try the iTunes workaround. It looks pretty intricate for what I need. I think I'll just manually shift the actual files into their accounts - I don't listen to much of their music anyway.

I didn't mean to call you stupid, sorry if my reply made it sound like I was! Sometimes the things are pretty obvious, sometimes they aren't. If you miss something it doesn't make you stupid! Again, sorry if I made it sound like that.

The iTunes thing is pretty intricate, but it is really the only way. I believe I've been getting Kernal Panics (system crashes) because of the permissions I have set on my iTunes library. The system HATES when you mess with the permissions on the iTunes library. So I would recommend that if you are going to share your library, you follow the instructions on that site, or you'll be dealing with a pissed off system.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    jimdadjimdad Posts: 209member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I didn't mean to call you stupid, sorry if my reply made it sound like I was! Sometimes the things are pretty obvious, sometimes they aren't. If you miss something it doesn't make you stupid! Again, sorry if I made it sound like that.

The iTunes thing is pretty intricate, but it is really the only way. I believe I've been getting Kernal Panics (system crashes) because of the permissions I have set on my iTunes library. The system HATES when you mess with the permissions on the iTunes library. So I would recommend that if you are going to share your library, you follow the instructions on that site, or you'll be dealing with a pissed off system.

No, you didn't DM. I didn't take it that way at all. It was nice of you to bother to reply. I was just irked at myself that I hadn't thought the situation through rather than panicking and posting.

With iTunes, my situation is probably more simple. We don't have to share because of our "musical differences".

I've just copied their tunes into the iTunes libraries on their accounts and they can listen to their music and i can listen to mine. However, they are wanting their own icons etc. now and I've just started to realise that OSX is a whole different ball game. They were off to iconfactory for system icons just before I stopped them.

Again, thanks for the reply.