Aljazeera.net: Al-Qaida may have nuclear weapons

dmzdmz
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The link

Is this possible? If it is, how likely is it that these turkeys have The Bomb?

Is this effecting Amercian foreign policy? Is the West being blackmailed?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I wonder if this new, is a sort of terrorism in itself ...
  • Reply 2 of 31
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    not to make any obnoxious comments but i would be a lot more terrified if they were shown to have small pox or ebola...
  • Reply 3 of 31
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    The article says that Al Queda would use their bombs if they faced "a crushing blow".

First, how would one deliver "a crushing blow" to a diffuse and global group?

Second, since when are these butchers inclined to hold something in reserve?

Seems to me if it were true they would talking about raining nuclear fire on the cities of the infidel, not implying that attacking them would lead to a bad result.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

Is this possible? If it is, how likely is it that these turkeys have The Bomb?

I believe it if one of those babies detonates (OK, I hope they never).

You cannot just carry around A-Bombs and import them. Imho, this is crap.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    The ****ing sky is falling. Duck and cover.

Blah blah blah.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

The article says that Al Queda would use their bombs if they faced "a crushing blow".

I think they realize that, if they used a nuke on us first, tomorrow the whole middle east would be a fish bowl. And if there are no muslims, they suddenly lose their bank accounts.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    Some poeple here said that Aljazeera was supporting Al-Quaeda. I wonder if there is not some truth in this assertion.

By making a paper that Al-Quaeda have nuclear weapons, they spread the fear of an atomic bombing across the occidental world. Bringing fear is part of the terrorist behavioring. by promoting this rumor, purposely or not, Al Jazeera play the game of terrorists.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Some poeple here said that Aljazeera was supporting Al-Quaeda. I wonder if there is not some truth in this assertion.

By making a paper that Al-Quaeda have nuclear weapons, they spread the fear of an atomic bombing across the occidental world. Bringing fear is part of the terrorist behavioring. by promoting this rumor, purposely or not, Al Jazeera play the game of terrorists.

I don't think so. Al-Jazeera branched off from the BBC and reports in a style very similar to their origins. They are equal opportunity offenders. They may have access to OBL or someone close enough to Al-Quaeda to get this information but I believe they support it. Besides this stuff sells papers if they support OBL or not.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I think they realize that, if they used a nuke on us first, tomorrow the whole middle east would be a fish bowl. And if there are no muslims, they suddenly lose their bank accounts.

So a nuke in an American city means we indiscriminatly annihilate the entire middle east?

At that point nothing else really matters because we can kiss civilization goodbye.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

So a nuke in an American city means we indiscriminatly annihilate the entire middle east?

At that point nothing else really matters because we can kiss civilization goodbye.

There are a two solutions:

1) Pull troops out of foreign lands

2) Kill all muslims

Now, I think that we should have pulled all troops out after the cold war, but what do power tripping politicians think? I don't think that the whole middle east would be carpet-nuked in the end, but in the end the terrorist problem would not be solved unless everyone is happy or unless there's no-one left to get upset.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

There are a two solutions:

1) Pull troops out of foreign lands

2) Kill all muslims

Now, I think that we should have pulled all troops out after the cold war, but what do power tripping politicians think? I don't think that the whole middle east would be carpet-nuked in the end, but in the end the terrorist problem would not be solved unless everyone is happy or unless there's no-one left to get upset.

"Kill all Muslims" is a "solution" that is orders of magnitude worse than the problem.

First, because it is morally grotesque, and secondly, because it would lead to a world-wide conflagration that would destroy life as we know on a global scale. Surely you don't imagine the rest of the world would stand by while we killed millions of innocents?

America isn't special in that a wound against us is somehow so out-of-bounds that it permits wildly unproportionate response.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Can we stay focused on the topic.

If a nuclear bombing occured, it will be a terrorist attack : nobody will know who bringed the nuke. And when finally the investigations will have shown who made this crime, they will be already elsewhere (even in an occidental countrie).

That's bad political sci-fiction, i do not even want to think about it. I doubt that this info is true. The ex KGB, will have never allowed that nukes where selled to muslims : remember the Tchetchenia is not far away. Russia was and is a good target for terrorists.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

I doubt that this info is true. The ex KGB, will have never allowed that nukes where selled to muslims : remember the Tchetchenia is not far away. Russia was and is a good target for terrorists.

The problem is that the KGB and the Russian military lost track of the bombs during the 80's. They were in some of the outlying states and vanished. They are 'easily' detectable so they can't really just be brought on a plane. That's probably one reason they haven't been used yet.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I tend to agree. If these suitcase bombs are really unaccounted for, they'll almost certainly be brought to US soil via ship (if they're brought here at all).
  • Reply 15 of 31
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

I tend to agree. If these suitcase bombs are really unaccounted for, they'll almost certainly be brought to US soil via ship (if they're brought here at all).

That's my guess as well. I don't know for certain how powerful they are, but they're more devastating than a dirty bomb and probably far less than a true missle. Still, they've been a huge threat for the past decade and I'm constantly pissed that they're still a threat.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    I don't say it's impossible, just that i doubt it.

One more difficulty, is the maintenance of such bombs : some componements (the electronical ones) have to be changed from time to time. I guess this is a major problem for potential illegal owners.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    I would say nuclear weapons are among my fellow white brother's greatist contributions to the world...

You're welcome world...

(yes, heavy sarcasm)
  • Reply 18 of 31
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

The problem is that the KGB and the Russian military lost track of the bombs during the 80's.

I am no expert on nukes, so I could be talking out of my behind here, but I believe the uranium or plutonium decay at a rate you have to dismantle the core and enrich it again every 20 to 30 years. I would further presume very small bombs decay faster (nearer to critical mass), so quite likely they are dysfunctional now or going to be in the next few years.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

I am no expert on nukes, so I could be talking out of my behind here, but I believe the uranium or plutonium decay at a rate you have to dismantle the core and enrich it again every 20 to 30 years. I would further presume very small bombs decay faster (nearer to critical mass), so quite likely they are dysfunctional now or going to be in the next few years.

No, untrue.

The halflives of Pu-239, and U-235 are significantly long

Plutonium-239 24 400 years

Uranium-235 700 000 000 years
  • Reply 20 of 31
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    1) Drugs get into US, is there a reason nuclear bombs don't?

2) When/if the terrorists get a nuclear bomb, they can well detonate it in the middle of Sahara and announce the second one will go off in a major US city unless their demands are met. Do you think the politicians will call their bluff? If they do, what about the mass panic?