Mouse pointer turns solid blue

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
When I change resolutions, my mouse pointer turns solid blue until it changes to a different style pointer (i.e. an I-beam) and back. It's been a problem for a few months now, possibly since I've had Panther. I usually notice it while I'm playing a game, because most games change the resolution. I also notice this when starting up the computer, because the startup screen appears to be at 640x480, and it is then resized once the progress bar comes up. Normally I just get rid of it by moving the mouse pointer over the text input box in the login window, but it happens at other times too. The most annoying one is when I launch EV Nova. When I launch EVN, the pointer turns solid black, with no border. That makes it nearly impossible to see in Nova, a space game that is mostly black. I think that's because it not only changes resolution, it also changes color depth (Nova operates only in Thousands of colors).

Anyone know how to fix this bug? I did a search and all I found was a post by me about three months ago that said basically the same thing I'm saying now. The main difference is that at the time, I didn't know exactly what caused it, I only knew how to temporarily fix it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    This has happened on my Mac at boot time and with every resolution change since the earliest beta of Panther. It's still in Panther and only in Panther.

It's gotta be a bug in the graphics card drivers. \ The only fix is hovering over something that changes the cursor, as you noticed.

What are the specs on your system?

Mine's a dual 500 with the Apple's original OEM AGP ATI Radeon (32 MB).
  • Reply 2 of 3
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I have almost the exact same machine... dual 450, AGP Radeon. Probably the only difference is that my Radeon has DVI and VGA, and no ADC. I guess this is just buggy drivers. I hoped it would get fixed in 10.3.3, but it's still there. I will have to send Apple feedback about it.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Well, now I'm certain that it's a problem only with the original Radeon graphics card. Brad and I both have the problem, and we have the same graphics card. I talked to a friend of mine just now who is also a Mac user, and he had the problem only with his B&W G3 - which had a Radeon PCI in it. Not a problem now that he got a newer PowerMac with a GeForce 3.