Wireless DSL Modem - does it exist?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I am looking for a solution to my networking issue at home. I have two laptops in the household both with wireless cards (one powerbook , one Toshiba ). The apartment Im in can only get an ADSL connection (I think you call it DSL in the states) no Cable. Is there a device out there, that is an ADSL modem and wireless basestation type device in one? Saves me having to buy a ADSL modem, AND airport extreme basestation or similar device.

I have been looking on the net but Im not at all experienced in networking.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am located in Australia if there are any other local Aussies on the boards who can help.

Thanks,

Adam

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I know there is one out there, Motorola rings a bell...but I can't find one now. I'll keep looking though and post here if I find one.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    2wire networks ( www.2wire.com ) make a wireless DSL modem. It cost's $150 if I recall. I use one myself and havent had a real problem with it. My Airport card found it and connected as soon as I entered the WAP password.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    The 2wire 1800 series include a built in ADSL modem and provides 802.11b support (Wi-Fi).

Its not wireless DSL as DSL is copper based only (standard telephone cable) but it sounds like it will do the job you want. The aiport extreme would be faster tho. I'm pretty sure there are other offering DSL modem + 802.11g.

Dobby.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by buzzbeepting

Hi,

I am looking for a solution to my networking issue at home. I have two laptops in the household both with wireless cards (one powerbook , one Toshiba ). The apartment Im in can only get an ADSL connection (I think you call it DSL in the states) no Cable. Is there a device out there, that is an ADSL modem and wireless basestation type device in one? Saves me having to buy a ADSL modem, AND airport extreme basestation or similar device.

I have been looking on the net but Im not at all experienced in networking.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am located in Australia if there are any other local Aussies on the boards who can help.

Thanks,

Adam

Can you get a free modem from your DSL provider? If you can just hook up one of these:D-link . I got one for $80