Construction

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have procured the funds to make a high-end G3 or a low-end G4. I cannot afford Apple's new hardware and I want more than the complete system that I am able to afford. I have built numerous PC's. I own one now but I yearn to get rid of linux and back to mac.

I am slightly unclear as to how apple hardware works, but I believe that I am able to put together a system. Here is my idea:

Purchase a beige g3 case and motherboard. Get cheap ram, a nice used G4 upgrade card (I am not sure about the software necessary for this), a decent compatible video card, a USB card and a firewire card. Sound and ethernet are probably built in? I am not sure if or if not I am way off in judging the compatibility of this stuff (and perhaps over-estimating the amount of PCI slots present on the motherboard). If anyone wants to redirect me in the most basic ways, please do so.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I would love to do this in an ATX case, of course.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Go for a Blue and White G3 tower and upgrade it.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    jobesjobes Posts: 106member
    converting to an ATX case requires a fair amount of work ... but I know it can be done, at least for a B&W G3 or higher. A friend of mine did it last year, and I have seen several articles online (possibly xlr8yourmac)

I wouldn't bother with a beige g3 these days though ... if you are a linux head and want to start using mac os x get a cheap old B&W, or an early sawtooth AGP mobo. The reason i say stay away from a beige is threefold.

1. 'Old world' ROM on beige machines and earlier: Issues with compatability with Open firmware etc.

2. Bus speed. Make sure its 100Mhz or above or you will see bottlenecks when you u/g your processor

3. Beige G3s have problems with the latest GPUs from ATi, and if you want to have a reasonable graphics upgrade you should bear this in mind.

Good luck ... it's not easy to build a Mac but I know it can be done ... msg me if you need more info on the ATX conversion my mate did ...