Just updated iPhoto, now it doesn't work

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just updated iPhoto and now the icon is different (a general applications icon) and it won't open. What can I do to fix this??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    It might have something to do with your disk image problems... \
  • Reply 2 of 5
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    well, i was able to fix that by copying the apps to the applications folder, iMovie updated fine only iPhoto bunged up.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Okay, did you update iPhoto *before* or *after* you copied it from your disk image?

I have this funny feeling it may have been before. \

If so, delete the file /Library/Receipts/iPhoto<whateverlooksrighttoyouforyourlastupdate>.p kg then run Software Update again. It *should* re-grab the iPhoto updater, and you can re-run it.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    it was after, but running disk utilities fixed it. what does disk utility do to fix this problems? i have no idea what fixing permissions means.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Ah! So simple!

Permissions are the flags on every file and folder in your system that say who can read them, who can modify them, etc.

Sometimes they get munged. 'Fixing permissions' does just that - it looks into the /Library/Receipts folder, figures out what each installed files' permissions *should* be, and makes sure that they're correct.

Glad it worked for you.