Editing images that are already in iPhoto?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've got a few questions concerning iPhoto use. First, I have some photos in iPhoto that I edited outside of iPhoto AFTER they were in iPhoto. Now when I go into iPhoto those pictures are still show as their original dimensions (I cropped them in another program). iPhoto tries to stretch them out to the original dimensions. How can I make iPhoto "re-scan" these particular pictures?

Second question: I notice that in iPhoto there is a place to change the filename of each photo. It seems that when I change the filename here it doesn't change it in the actual file system. If I rename a photo then it stays renamed in the iPhoto interface, but in the Finder it still shows as the original filename. What gives?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    When you import a picture into iPhoto, that's exactly what you do... you make a copy *inside* iPhoto's database. You can trash the original file.

So editing the original after putting it in iPhoto doesn't do diddly to the photo that's in the database - you're working on one copy, and looking at another.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    gh0zttgh0ztt Posts: 42member
    This can't be true. Using that method iPhoto would effectively double the amount of storage used for your photos. Plus, the edited photo DOES appear in iPhoto. The thumbnail and original dimensions are not changed, but when I double click a photo it shows me the version that I edited outside of iPhoto, just stretched to the dimensions that iPhoto thinks it should be.