itunes price war?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Do you think Apple may try and get in a price war with Wal-Mart and lower the single price to 88 cents?

How about Apple trying an 88 cent weekend to see if they get a big enough spike in sales to consider a change in price?

How about a frequent buyer club? Every iTunes purchase gives you a credit on your account. Maybe 1 free single for every 10 or 15 that you buy?

A little competition can be a very good thing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by briang5000

Do you think Apple may try and get in a price war with Wal-Mart and lower the single price to 88 cents?

How about Apple trying an 88 cent weekend to see if they get a big enough spike in sales to consider a change in price?

How about a frequent buyer club? Every iTunes purchase gives you a credit on your account. Maybe 1 free single for every 10 or 15 that you buy?

A little competition can be a very good thing.

have you heard a song from walmart - i didnt think it could happen, WORSE quality than 128k aac == a bigger joke than the itms store for those of us with big speakers, good quality for cheap headphones on an ipod, but not muchelse
  • Reply 2 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Undercutting people on price is the Walmart way but they won't see much success from pricing tracks at .88 each.

I hate to stereotype but Walmart customers aren't exactly the the savviest, there's not the same cachet that you get with iTunes when you say "I get my downloads from Walmart".

If saving money was a priority most of us wouldn't have computers with broadband connections. I'm sorry but to me the cost savings don't justify me leaving iTMS.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    gh0zttgh0ztt Posts: 42member
    It doesn't matter anyways, the website says that the Wal-Mart service will not work with Mac. Also, they limit you to 10 CD writes per song... what's up with that. Down with Napster, down with Wal-Mart... iTMS owns all.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    spazspaz Posts: 58member
    Apple will not lower it's iTunes prices to $.88. it's not going to happen - Apple has never been in the price war game, they've always been in the premium product for a premium price game, and $.99 is frankly a great price.

as mentioned above, Wal-Mart isn't known to have the savviest customers. if moms in middle-america want to download exclusive WMA Hillary Duff tracks to download onto their flash-based players to listen to while on the treadmill, let them do it for $.88. Apple is going to continue selling boatloads.