Do I need the special iPod Power Converter for England?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am going to England and Scotland next month and am wondering if I need to get the special iPod power converter for those wacky overseas plugs or if the standard converter that you can buy for your hair dryer will work. I don't travel overseas much and it seems a waste to buy that pack of a dozen different converters when I'm only going to use one.

My concern is that if I buy a non-apple converter my iPod might fry or something. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I was just there myself coming from the US. What you need is this:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...5.10.3.15.13.0

Its the world travel adaptor kit that lets you change your plugs on your transformer. The UK uses the largest plug in the pack. These adaptors also work for your laptop.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    gigawiregigawire Posts: 196member
    This is what you need. You can order from the apple Store or pick on up at an apple store. on the website it is under apple accessories.

World Travel Adapter Kit

The World Travel Adapter Kit includes a set of six AC plugs with prongs that fit different electrical outlets around the world. For world travelers, this is the perfect kit to ensure power connectivity in most countries you may travel to. The Kit is designed to work with (and requires) the white portable power adapter that ships with iPod, iBook, or PowerBook G4. The AC plugs included in the World Travel Adapter Kit directly support outlets in North America, Japan, China, United Kingdom, Continental Europe, Korea, Australia, and Hong Kong.

Supports all iPods.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Is it really worth shelling out $39 for ipod adaptors? I've got a set of cheapass adaptors picked up at an airport. cost £6 ($10ish) iirc. in fact, I've probably got about 3 sets - tend to leave them at home - so my total investment is not far off the ipod ones!

have used them in europe, caribbean and far east for laptops, wife's hairdryer (which is used so much, it drains half the national grid) and mobile phone chargers no probs at all. charged up ipod in far east quite happily.

have a good time in Eng/Scot.

hang loose

G

---------------

London weather: sunny

Now playing: Roy Ayers
  • Reply 4 of 5
    cyloncylon Posts: 126member
    All you need is the basic adaptors. You don't need the apple specific ones. Traveled all over Europe with a cheap adaptor kit and never had a problem with my laptop(Wallstreet) or iPod.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cylon

All you need is the basic adaptors. You don't need the apple specific ones. Traveled all over Europe with a cheap adaptor kit and never had a problem with my laptop(Wallstreet) or iPod.

Agreed. So long as your power adaptor says "Input AC 100-240V", all you need to do is buy the appropriate plug converter and you can use it in the country of you choice. Apple's portables have traditionally let you do this. One exception was their portable StyleWriter, which would only run on North American voltage. I had to run that through a large, heavy transformer to get that to work in Scotland when I was there for a year.