How can you make your site couter not count you?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi,

I have a Digital Point Counter on my site . Everytime I refresh my site it adds another visitor to the counter. How can I make my site counter NOT include me?

Thanks,

Leo

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    All help greatly appreciated!
  • Reply 2 of 5
    scarecrowscarecrow Posts: 148member
    It depends on whether or not if it has a filter, that you can filter out a specific IP or range of IPs..

I would suggest you forgo the counter and rely on real stats like WebTrends software, or at the least, use the server's actual log files. Much much more accurate.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Maybe you could have some server-side code determine the IP address of the request and if it matches yours, not load the counter code? But then you wouldn't see the counter at all.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

Maybe you could have some server-side code determine the IP address of the request and if it matches yours, not load the counter code? But then you wouldn't see the counter at all.

I'd just change the counter code, but a way to fix your problem is CounterCode-- so that it appears to stay the same because it is decremented before it's incremented. I think all this depends on how you make your counter.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Well, first of all your link above to your site ain't working. Secondly, why even have a counter. It was cool...like five years ago. Believe me the excitement wears off after 6 months.

If you had a real hosting service with your own domain name you'd have a link provided from your hosting service that would give you a detail log (in months, weeks, days and even hours) of hits to all the pages of your site. Don't think .Mac provides this though.

Still, if you really need one...hope someone can help.