Wonderfalls on Fox

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What is it about this show? Not 20 min into it, and I'm utterly ensnared by miss pretty. She's the kind of girl, I imagine, can bring about equally polar opposite responses from others. As in, "Are you kidding? What's so great about her? She acts like such a ditz! She doesn't even have the classic Hollywood bombshell look!"

So why do I adore her? ...and the show is refreshingly eccentric and deliberately quirky. They [show creators] totally sniper shot me. ...or maybe they have successfully targeted the type of loony demographic that would be sitting in front of a TV set at 9:00, Fri evening? I'm insulted, yet placated, at the same time. \

Love the talking inanimate figurines, btw!...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I'm so there!

As soon as I started watching I was hooked. (Of course, Fox will cancel this within minutes).

I think it's because she has a confused/irritable/lost edge and is pretty without that cookie cutter babe thing that is so endemic on TV right now.

Plus, she drinks heavily.
  • Reply 2 of 65
    oops
  • Reply 3 of 65
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I was hooked on the first episode. I don't really know why. Good animation, intrest, plot? This seems to be a rare winner for FOX. 8)

(Hope they don't kill it like Firefly) \
  • Reply 4 of 65
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Who Caroline Dhavernas? She looks so so to me.
  • Reply 5 of 65
    Is this her?

• Reply 6 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Who Caroline Dhavernas? She looks so so to me.

I don't think she's done much. Quick search shows some Disney flick from '01 called "Out Cold" and nothing else.

Yeah, she's not a raving beauty, but she's got that certain something in my book. Just very appealing.

Oh, and I still haven't gotten over the cancelation of "Firefly".
  • Reply 7 of 65
    I'll try to put this as tactfully as I can...

I don't particularly see her as a "beautiful model", (though she is nice ) but as someone who is down-to-earth, AKA: real, and therefore I can believe her. Her character is convincing. Pair that up with the fictitious nature of the story and you have some contrast that captivates my attention.

I hope that made sense.

In short: What will happen next, and what foreshadowing will that lion spit out next?
  • Reply 8 of 65
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Yes, I agree this show is a little treasure, but it is in this bermuda triangle time slot. Doesn't every show that ends up here get cancelled relatively quickly?
  • Reply 9 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

Yes, I agree this show is a little treasure, but it is in this bermuda triangle time slot. Doesn't every show that ends up here get cancelled relatively quickly?

I think the rule of thumb is, every great show that Fox puts on will be cancelled to make room for "The Littlest Bachelor".
  • Reply 10 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

Doesn't every show that ends up here get cancelled relatively quickly?

Nowadays, yea kinda. But it didn't used to be this way. Anyone remember Sliders? That show was on Friday at 8-ish for years. Than it was followed by Dinosaurs. That was a great show too. My family spent so much $$ on TV dinners since we all used to eat and watch on Friday night. Those were some fun times.
  • Reply 11 of 65
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    As for Fox's continuing reality show invasion, I'm enjoying the social commentary implications in Fox's "Playing it Straight" (and before that, "My Big, Fat, Obnoxious Fiance"), and I'm looking forward to Fox's spinoff to that Extreme Makeover show. Yeah, I'm a cheap primetime whore, but PBS will just never give me the candy I'm dependent on.

Speaking of examples of the typical Hollywood, fresh blonde meat offering, that blonde girl in the movie "The Girl Next Door". Geeesh! Yeah, I know she's also on that show "24", but her hotness quotient goes way up when you get to see her do the cutesy, smiley, flirty gestures, rather than always serious and dramatic.

This girl and the Wonderfall girl both have an infectious, irresistable to ignore effect on me, but from entirely opposite approaches. Make any sense?
  • Reply 12 of 65
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

This girl and the Wonderfall girl both have an infectious, irresistable to ignore effect on me, but from entirely opposite approaches. Make any sense?

It's their Canadian-ness. Those beady eyes...and flapping heads. The previews for Wonderfalls made it sound like some Amelie knock-off, complete with hallucinations and chance romances.

Damn Canadians taking over the film/tv industry! I believe it's mostely filmed in Toronto. It would make senss considering the proximity to Niagara Falls.
  • Reply 13 of 65
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

As soon as I started watching I was hooked. (Of course, Fox will cancel this within minutes).

After seeing the first 3 episodes I have this sinking feeling that Fox will cancel it as well. It's a great show but I bet the masses just won't "get" it. Not that there's anything to get but I don't see it having mass appeal. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

However...didn't the X-Files start on Friday? \

Does anyone know what happened to Boston Public? It was on this timeslot and now it seems to have disappeared. Did it get cancelled?
  • Reply 14 of 65
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Nevermind....

Quote:

BOSTON PUBLIC (FOX) - A source close to the series has confirmed the cast has been released from their contracts and the show's sets have been torn down. Nevertheless, FOX reps still insist the series hasn't been canceled. Series star Chi McBride has already joined the cast of ABC's drama pilot "Countdown," about a S.W.A.T. team and how it handles the final 43 minutes of a crisis.

• Reply 15 of 65
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    fox sucks. a lot.
  • Reply 16 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

fox sucks. a lot.

It's weird. They seem to have one of the better development operations, and one of the worst track records for axing promising shows.

Why take the trouble to produce cool stuff if you don't give it a chance to find an audience?
  • Reply 17 of 65
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Is this her?

Anything is better than ELIZA DUSHKU from Tru Calling. Blech. (Okay from certain angles maybe).

I shudder to think what twitchy, neurotic girls these shows will generate. Gladly, I can only ever date the 18 and over ones.
  • Reply 18 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

They seem to have one of the better development operations, and one of the worst track records for axing promising shows.

Why take the trouble to produce cool stuff if you don't give it a chance to find an audience?

You can sell a popular show for money. Especially to a cable company.
  • Reply 19 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

It's their Canadian-ness. Those beady eyes...and flapping heads. The previews for Wonderfalls made it sound like some Amelie knock-off, complete with hallucinations and chance romances.

Ally McBeal was doing that stuff before Amelie came out. Which was a Fox show.
  • Reply 20 of 65
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    and before that was Absinthe...