Random system freezes?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Can somebody tell me if I need to do anything special after upgrading the RAM in my PB? I recently added a 1 GB stick from Crucial. OSX sees the memory and everything is running much faster, however I am now getting complete system freezes at least once a day. I will be moving my mouse or typing something and all of a sudden everything just stops. The screen stays displayed but all input is ignored and all programs freeze. The only way I can get out of this is to power cycle the PB. What could cause this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gh0ztt

Can somebody tell me if I need to do anything special after upgrading the RAM in my PB? I recently added a 1 GB stick from Crucial. OSX sees the memory and everything is running much faster, however I am now getting complete system freezes at least once a day. I will be moving my mouse or typing something and all of a sudden everything just stops. The screen stays displayed but all input is ignored and all programs freeze. The only way I can get out of this is to power cycle the PB. What could cause this?

At first blush, it would appear you have bad RAM. Pull it and see if the freezes go away. If so, it would appear your new RAM is bad (what with OS X being sensitive to this sort of thing and all).

Also, have you repaired permissions, et al. too?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Get a program called Gauge Pro, boot that PB into OS 9 and run the ram tests and check out if it is your RAM that's making your PB go south. It sounds like it could be a RAM issue, but the good thing is that Crucial ram is guaranteed. Good luck!