Switch from PM 500DP to PB Ti 800?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm thinking getting a PowerBook G4 Titanium 800 to replace my PowerMac G4 500 Dual Processor. And working off from external FireWire Hard Drive as a startup disk. Uses PhotoShop a lot with up to 400MB layered file. Perhaps digital video soon with Final Cut Pro. Just that I'm trying to justify to myself that it's not a downgrade. Worry about heat problems on the PB Ti 800. Care to share experiences and opinions. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    [quote]Originally posted by ANDREWTAN:

<strong>I'm thinking getting a PowerBook G4 Titanium 800 to replace my PowerMac G4 500 Dual Processor. And working off from external FireWire Hard Drive as a startup disk. Uses PhotoShop a lot with up to 400MB layered file. Perhaps digital video soon with Final Cut Pro. Just that I'm trying to justify to myself that it's not a downgrade. Worry about heat problems on the PB Ti 800. Care to share experiences and opinions. Thanks!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have just changed to a TiBook 800 from a 400Mhz G4, and whoa the difference is GREAT! Heat problems, No! I really dont think there is any major issues with Heat on this baby, sure it gets warm but its a small unit. I am using Photoshop and Dreamweaver, not having any problems, sure is alot better than my old G4...

Hope this helps!
  • Reply 2 of 2
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    Make sure you get an external pointer device. Trackpads are stinky for fine maniplutaion and dragging. Unless you've somehow gotten good at it, which I can't...