The new Ibook (3D Mockup and Specs)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Enjoy :-) (Added Blue an d Green on 03/31/04)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 109
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Nope, so wrong.
  • Reply 2 of 109
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Nope, so wrong.

Thanks for the reasoning !

:-)
  • Reply 3 of 109
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Never going to happen. Apple won't make the ibooks look exactly the same as the Pbooks. Some fraud person can rub away the ibook lettering on it and write powerbook and sell it for cheap and fool the buyer that their buying a powerbook for a great deal. The ibooks and Pbooks are always going to have totally diffrent designs.
  • Reply 4 of 109
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    ...plus I don't think Apple would call their iBooks IBooks
  • Reply 5 of 109
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

...plus I don't think Apple would call their iBooks IBooks

May God rip my soul from my wretched body and fling it to the depths of Hell for all Eternity before Apple puts speaker grills in the palmrests.

Ok, so what's the deal with the trackpad and dual buttons. Explain.

BTW I like the thinness, hinge in general.

Apple: iBook needs to be colored anodize aluminum in the iPod mini colors, not the aluminum that the PowerBooks use. (iBook needs to become the PowerBook mini). Also the regular iPod needs to not be white/silver but use the same aluminum as the PowerBook. Ditch the plastic, Apple.

Aluminum = pro

Anodized Aluminum = mini/consumer

White/Silver/Plastic = history
  • Reply 6 of 109
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

May God rip my soul from my wretched body and fling it to the depths of Hell for all Eternity before Apple puts speaker grills in the palmrests.

Ok, so what's the deal with the trackpad and dual buttons. Explain.

BTW I like the thinness, hinge in general.

Apple: iBook needs to be colored anodize aluminum in the iPod mini colors, not the aluminum that the PowerBooks use. (iBook needs to become the PowerBook mini). Also the regular iPod needs to not be white/silver but use the same aluminum as the PowerBook. Ditch the plastic, Apple.

Aluminum = pro

Anodized Aluminum = mini/consumer

White/Silver/Plastic = history

If ibook is powerbook mini. Then ipod mini is ipod and ipod is powerpod.
  • Reply 7 of 109
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

If ibook is powerbook mini. Then ipod mini is ipod and ipod is powerpod.

You meant "If iBook is PowerBook mini, then iPod is PowerPod." but I knew whatcha meant.

Just as long it isn't mini PP....those wouldn't sell too well...

"Look at how small my mini pp is!".....(sells AAPL)
  • Reply 8 of 109
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

Never going to happen. Apple won't make the ibooks look exactly the same as the Pbooks. Some fraud person can rub away the ibook lettering on it and write powerbook and sell it for cheap and fool the buyer that their buying a powerbook for a great deal. The ibooks and Pbooks are always going to have totally diffrent designs.

That has nothing to do with it. Someone could just as easily advertise their 400 MHz TiBook as being a 1 GHz TiBook, since they look the same on the outside.

I doubt that a selling point for an iBook would be "PowerBook Envy" because that's exactly what Apple's trying to avoid. It probably won't have a widescreen, it won't be that thin, and it DEFINITELY won't have speakers under your palms. That's just a sucky idea introduced by some PC laptop makers to save space, but it muffles the sound if you try to use the keyboard.

Oh yeah, and isn't this just a repost of your old PowerBook pictures, except labeled iBook? Laptops this thin with the specs you say are just not possible with today's technology.
  • Reply 9 of 109
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

That has nothing to do with it. Someone could just as easily advertise their 400 MHz TiBook as being a 1 GHz TiBook, since they look the same on the outside.

I doubt that a selling point for an iBook would be "PowerBook Envy" because that's exactly what Apple's trying to avoid. It probably won't have a widescreen, it won't be that thin, and it DEFINITELY won't have speakers under your palms. That's just a sucky idea introduced by some PC laptop makers to save space, but it muffles the sound if you try to use the keyboard.

Oh yeah, and isn't this just a repost of your old PowerBook pictures, except labeled iBook? Laptops this thin with the specs you say are just not possible with today's technology.

I think the general idea is going to be "super thin" whether it's a Ibook or Powerbook.

The "Powerbook is thin, Ibook is sturdy" paradigm won't be the major differentiating factor. It's my view.

Regarding the speakers, I agree. The placement is awkward. I think a super-thin speaker along the LCD sides could be the answer.

No, this isn't a repost. It's the same keyboard base with smaller dimensions.

The track-pads are the same , although I still don't see the use of them except for maybe pen input. Hmmm....
  • Reply 10 of 109
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    You dont understand, though it may be your view that the iBook is going to be thinner and lighter, I see that as only happening if it can also be stronger and more durable.

Remember, "There are no compromises with our new PowerBook."--Jonathan Ive in the original PowerBook introduction promotional video.
  • Reply 11 of 109
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Good effort. The complete dearth of mockups that seems to exist in AI has perturbed me. I remember once upon a time a mockup existed in every single bleeding Future Hardware thread. People would even do mockups of processors...

<Snaps back to the present>

Well, I don't think Apple would go all dual-tone on us, so the next iBook will probably be all white. Now, I would say that the screen seems extremely thin, but the I can't judge depth because the entire LCD screen enclosure is the same color of black. Maybe you could add some shading so that we could better judge this? Or maybe you meant the display to look paper thin.

Mmm, dual button trackpad, that's an excellent feature...
  • Reply 12 of 109
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I know! Whatever happened to all those mockup freaks?
  • Reply 13 of 109
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

You dont understand, though it may be your view that the iBook is going to be thinner and lighter, I see that as only happening if it can also be stronger and more durable.

Remember, "There are no compromises with our new PowerBook."--Jonathan Ive in the original PowerBook introduction promotional video.

I agree with the "stronger and thinner" view. I think they are not mutually exclusive.

Either way, the Powerbook will still be the next big thing from Apple.

Here is my reasoning:

1- It is only natural that the new Ibook will mimic the Powerbook "coolness" factor since the (inherit is more the word I'm thinking).

The major coolness factor is still (alas) thickness.

2- There are less heat issues in the G4 board, assuming that the G4 7447 or IBM G3 with Altivec has a even less power consumption than the current incarnation. And we can assume that the IBook will carry the G4 family for a while.

3- The current Ibook looks a bit like a baby toy. I'm not saying I don't like it (or even that I haven't bought one some time ago...;-)), but I think it needs a more stylish look to appeal to other than small kids. Will get back to this in the last point.

4- There is no more "WOW" factor in PowerMacs. They are not meant to be a surprise. And IBM will assure that everyone knows what's going to happen and when ( Impeccable record until now !) and this steals a lot of Apple 's thunder when announcing the new stuff. As an example, everyone knows we will have a 3 GHZ PowerMac this summer.

5- I think colors will be back to the IBook. It is just a feeling ( I have some color mockups I will post tomorrow) but the all white line is going away. I would almost bet 100 Euros on this ;-)

Conclusion.

Portables will carry the Apple brand into the future in a BIG way. So what better way to make the entry level IBook cooler and faster than any Wintel machine ?

It leaves everyone else panting for the Powerbook with the G5 and beyond.

At leas that's the way I see it .

Regards from Portugal.
  • Reply 14 of 109
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    I like the dual button track pad. Definitely, the speakers need a new home. I think it looks too similar to recent Toshiba and eMachine two tone laptops.

emachine

toshiba

The one thing I notice most about apple notebooks, they are very distinctive and apple-like from all angles. With or without logos.

Maybe it can be more Penguin like. Black from all outer angles...and the inside is all white or anodized aluminum.
  • Reply 15 of 109
    kaboomkaboom Posts: 286member
  • Reply 16 of 109
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I know! Whatever happened to all those mockup freaks?

They got tired of hearing the little kiddies go "oohh no way, that sucks you don't get it...im a little kid who has no skills but likes to shoot down others that do". Where's my belt? Good job on the mockups, don't let the kiddies get you down. There are some that appreciate it!
  • Reply 17 of 109
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    first off, all the mock ups in these recent threads LOOK THE SAME. second of all, the ibook is supposed to be apple's "cute" product (like the ipod mini). darker colors are for power users
  • Reply 18 of 109
    Added my color revisitation on the new Ibooks.

The Blue One is somewhat more refined than the black mockup.

Also some more visible ports on the green one.

Will reposition the speakerss and make them bulgier fore reality sake.

Enjoy!
  • Reply 19 of 109
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Color is fine, but the point is that the iBook is a portable iMac, not a cheap PowerBook. Sturdiness and price are the key points.

I've been reading the O'Reilly OSX Hacks book and a Linux developer wrote a chapter describing how the iBook was the perfect replacement for his Dell laptop because it was simple, few bells and whistles so things ran quickly and with few incompatibilities and it was as cheap as a Dell with a better screen and lighter.

iBooks need to be sturdy and cheap. If you can do that, it doesn't matter what the color is.
  • Reply 20 of 109
    Quote:

Originally posted by nsousansousa

Enjoy :-) (Added Blue an d Green on 04/31/04)

No...03/31/04.

Plus you might want to just put them in a new post so it is in the normal flow of the thread. (Everyone, scroll up, the original pics are updated)