Against All Enemies

homhom
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
*NOTE*

This is not a thread about Richard Clarke's testimony or the controversies surrounding it, but a discussion of his book and the items contained within. If you want to get into another partisan battle there is a thread for you here. If you want to have a reasonable discussion of the book you've found the right place.

*END NOTE*

I think I may have picked up the last copy in NYC. I had to go to four book stores and finally got the display copy at a small shop. So far, his recounting of what happened on 9/11 from an insider's point of view is absolutely riveting. Trying to gather together all the different Federal offices to work together using Cold War models that hadn't been seriously practiced in almost a decade.

His writing style isn't the greatest, but it's not the worst I've read. I am really looking forward the rest of the book.

Does anyone else have a copy? How far are you in it? What do you think so far?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    UPS says my copy should be delivered tomorrow.

Check out what Kevin Drum says here:

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/arc..._03/003570.php
  • Reply 2 of 31
    it's next on my nightstand.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I saw the TeeVee movie.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    I work at Barnes & Noble. All copies sold out within this week (after the 60 minutes show it never stopped selling) and our nation wide distributors had 800 copies available...nation wide mind you.

All well and good, but I feel that his book has over shadowed others. "House of Bush, House of Saud" by Craig Unger is one. I am reading this one now and believe me, this book would be another nail in Arbusto's coffin if it wasn't for the rabid attention Clarke's book is getting.

The ties the Bush family (and others in their group around them) have with Saudis are been long and deep. They have definately led to what we painfully see around us today in the Middle East...a quagmire of power, deception, death and greed.

Pick up this book if you can't get Clarke's. Well worth it. And hunt down the 3rd edition of "Fortunate Son" by J. H. Hatfield...my next book on my list.

• Reply 5 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

I work at Barnes & Noble. All copies sold out within this week (after the 60 minutes show it never stopped selling) and our nation wide distributors had 800 copies available...nation wide mind you.

All well and good, but I feel that his book has over shadowed others. "House of Bush, House of Saud" by Craig Unger is one. I am reading this one now and believe me, this book would be another nail in Arbusto's coffin if it wasn't for the rabid attention Clarke's book is getting.

Maybe if that book could get it's facts straight it would have more impact?
  • Reply 6 of 31
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Don't make me laugh.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Here's an article with some interesting bits found in Clarkes book. Liberals will want to skim past the first more partisan stuff, but the comments on the FBI and fighting terrorism with law enforcement are interesting. Seems like hes been pushing for a more aggressive stance for awhlie.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    [EDIT: bah nevermind this post]
  • Reply 9 of 31
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    How long will it be before the publisher orders all remaining copies to be burned, under pressure from Bush admin. officials, just like what happened to the first edition of J. Hatfield's unauthorized Bush biography "Fortunate Son"?

A similar thing happened to Eustace Mullins' excellently researched expose "The Secrets of the Federal Reserve", except in this case, even possessing a copy was made illegal for a while.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

How long will it be before the publisher orders all remaining copies to be burned, under pressure from Bush admin. officials, just like what happened to the first edition of J. Hatfield's unauthorized Bush biography "Fortunate Son"?

A similar thing happened to Eustace Mullins' excellently researched expose "The Secrets of the Federal Reserve", except in this case, even possessing a copy was made illegal for a while.

Was this really necessary?
  • Reply 11 of 31
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

Link?
  • Reply 12 of 31
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Link?

My earlier statement wasn't quite accurate.The burning of "Secrets of the Federal Reserve" was ordered by a Bavarian judge under the auspices of the US High Commissioner in Germany, who upheld the order. I read a few years back that it was banned in the US for a while, but a quick search I failed to find a link on the internet.

http://www.cephas-library.com/nwo/fe...e_forward.html

A more recent book banning here:

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/arti...4/151041.shtml

This is now off topic though and I don't want to derail the thread. Please reply privately
  • Reply 13 of 31
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Maybe if that book could get it's facts straight it would have more impact?

Have you actually read the book or are you simply stating an uneducated opinion?

Artman: do you agree with the above quote? does it appear to be well researched?
  • Reply 14 of 31
    The quote from the book that Artman posted last week was wrong. One of the many lies that are repeated over and over again until true.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Quote:

The quote from the book that Artman posted last week was wrong. One of the many lies that are repeated over and over again until true.

What, the Saudi flights?
  • Reply 16 of 31
    i can't find any reference to the saudi flights in the book.

can someone illuminate me?
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

What, the Saudi flights?

And ... you're super smart. What is this telling me?
  • Reply 18 of 31
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Quote:

I think its telling you that the thread where you all but demanded that people eat crow before you disclosed the source stating that the flights never happened might be wrong. I think what giant was trying to say was "look here" for information perviously overlooked. Oh, the question about Saudi Flights was also raised during the 911 commission questioning of Clarke.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:

What does the big type at the top say?
  • Reply 20 of 31
    I don't see anything in giants link that contradicts my information. I'll keep looking.