Quicktime Question

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I am assuming a quicktime question belongs in Digital Hub, if I have gotten it wrong I can also assume that a mod will move it.

Thank you Mod if it has been moved.

Anyway, I have QTpro, and I was wondering if it was possible to open a number of quicktime files in one window, so that they can play back to back.

Or do I have to go into FCP and put them all into a movie and then render that out?

It would be a lot easier if I could do the former and not have to worry about the latter.

Les.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    You can easily add multiple video files in a row using QT Pro. Create a new blank movie. Open the first movie you want and select all ? A. Paste into the blank movie. Rinse and Repeat until your movie is the way you want it. You can then save it out at a movie for future viewing without having to render it.

EDIT: changed black to blank
  • Reply 2 of 21
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Thanks, but it doesn't allow me to paste into a black movie (by black movie I assume you mean going into File>New Player?
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Whoops, I meant to say blank in the second instance and not black. I will edit it accordingly. And yes, it's a New Player. I also forgot to mention that you need to copy before you can paste if that is holding you back. But like I said, I've done it many times.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    As long as QuickTime questions are being asked...

I've paid the extra money for QuickTime Pro, but the only thing that seems to have changed is that I don't get the annoying "Upgrade to QuickTime Pro" dialog anymore.

Other than that, I've noticed nothing new. I can't figure out how to get at any of the editing features.

Should I have a new "QuickTime Pro" app somewhere? Should I just use QuickTime player, but expect new editing features or menus or buttons to appear?
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

As long as QuickTime questions are being asked...

I've paid the extra money for QuickTime Pro, but the only thing that seems to have changed is that I don't get the annoying "Upgrade to QuickTime Pro" dialog anymore.

Other than that, I've noticed nothing new. I can't figure out how to get at any of the editing features.

Should I have a new "QuickTime Pro" app somewhere? Should I just use QuickTime player, but expect new editing features or menus or buttons to appear?

I don't know what "editing" features you were looking for, but you can do some serious editing with the application. If you look under the Edit menu there are a ton of options that are enabled when you get Pro. Similarly, you can take advantage of all of interactive features like text tracks, flash tracks, QTVR tracks, and so one and so on. Apple's QuickTime developer page has a ton of great resources to use QT Pro.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Actually, some people protect their movies, and you can't copy paste them together anymore. I tried to do it recently with some pR0n clips that were segmented. I was p*ssed. I really wanted to put them all back together.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Oh lordy, what's this world coming to. Can't un-segment video.8)

I'm spending too much time here at AI. I think I need to take a step outside.8)
  • Reply 8 of 21
    onlooker, you and I think alike!!!! And since you were also unable to put them together, I will assume these are also protected. Damn purveyors of pROn!!!

I also wanted to do it with all the Clone Wars cartoon episodes. Put them all together and them burn them to a dvd and them sell them on the street corner.... Oops, did I say that out loud?
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Is there any way of "unlocking" these protected qt's? So that a group of them can be sewn back together and watched back to back in the one quicktime window??
  • Reply 10 of 21
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    QuickTime Pro player only allows for *.MOV files editing, that is, copy/paste stuff. It won't work for *.mpg or other file formats. If you need to string together a bunch of *mpg files, you will have to convert them (Export) to *.MOV with QT Player.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bill M

QuickTime Pro player only allows for *.MOV files editing, that is, copy/paste stuff. It won't work for *.mpg or other file formats. If you need to string together a bunch of *mpg files, you will have to convert them (Export) to *.MOV with QT Player.

Not true. You can also edit .avi and some .mpg (if they aren't protected).

But... but... you can edit protected mpgs with QuickTime V.4. Heh. T's why I still have QuickTime V.4 installed. And yes it runs very well alongside QuickTime V6.5
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

It's the same app shetline. All QuickTime Pro does is unlock features to the same app - QuickTime.

What Pro does is give you the ability to edit content, play Full Screen and so on.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Actually, some people protect their movies, and you can't copy paste them together anymore. I tried to do it recently with some pR0n clips that were segmented. I was p*ssed. I really wanted to put them all back together.

My friend discovered that you can use the cat command in the terminal to join some video files for exactly this purpose.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

My friend discovered that you can use the cat command in the terminal to join some video files for exactly this purpose.

Give me an example of how to do this please.

Say I have a folder of 10 .avi files, all named "clip001.avi" to "clip010.avi". How do I cat them into a new file?
  • Reply 15 of 21

(nothing like that "I did it myself" feeling}

Code:

man cat

• Reply 16 of 21
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Applescript is your friend. See the "Play Movies" script that's in the colection. It's a droplet that plays movies in sequential order with a few other options if you double-click the script instead.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Applescript is your friend. See the "Play Movies" script that's in the colection. It's a droplet that plays movies in sequential order with a few other options if you double-click the script instead.

I was about to kiss you... I changed my mind.

This applescript has too many quirks. It does not play all clips seamlessly as if they where all part of the same movie. As each clips ends the window closes then another opens with the next clip. If you want to see it full screen... when the damn clip ends, the next clip goes back to the prefs size and the prefs size does not give you a full screen choice.

Setting your prefs so as to not to have a continuation query before each clip is great if you watch the entire clip collection. If you decide you want to end in somewhere in between you are then stuck with closing e a c h and e v e r y u n p l a y e d c l i p.

I know, i know, whaaaaaaaaaa, whaaaaaaaaa whaaaaaaaa.

I'll pass.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

(nothing like that "I did it myself" feeling}

Code:

man cat

Dont ya just love these sudo (no pun intended) Unix gurus who make simplistic statements like "man foo". Wow. I am SO enlightened, oh great one.

No shit. I know how to use the man pages. I have a BA is CS. Now, back on topic please...

My questions was specific to this Forum topic (QUICKTIME). Not a "Genuis Bar" or OS X topic. I need to understand how the cat command works specifically with multimedia content and various movie formats. I cant seem to cat any of my video files and wanted some more input from the poster I quoted who was experimenting with the cat command (iBrowse), not a random reply from people saying "man cat", and leaving.

\\/\\/ickes: If you have tips and tricks specific to concatation of multimedia files, please help us out and chime in. I would appreciate it. But please refrain from the bumper sticker mentality "RTFM" posts. :0)
  • Reply 19 of 21
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

I was about to kiss you... I changed my mind.

I'll pass.

Well, I didn't much effort into my reply. But still, it's AppleScript! Go into the script editor and see what you can do with it, ya lazy bum!
  • Reply 20 of 21
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Using cat to join files is easy: cat file1.mpg file2.mpg file3.mpg > file.mpg

The cat command does not "work specifically with multimedia content and various movie formats"; some file formats can be concatenated (MPEG) and some cannot (AVI, MOV).

You can use VLC playlists to play multiple videos back-to-back in the same window with no editing.