Darwin/x86 and Fink

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey all. I'm downloading the latest Darwin release (pure Darwin) that I'm gonna try and install on an older PC that I have. Is it possible to get the source code for Fink so it can be built on an x86 box? If not then I'll build each program from source. If you can build Fink from source where do I get the source? Is it available in CVS? Where do I find the CVS commands? Has anyone installed Darwin on an x86 machine before? Should I post my PC's specs?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I have heard that if you are using darwin from apple you are in for a headache. OpenDarwin fixes most of the bugs.

Also there is next to no driver support. What are you going to use the box for?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

I have heard that if you are using darwin from apple you are in for a headache. OpenDarwin fixes most of the bugs.

Also there is next to no driver support. What are you going to use the box for?

I want to use it as an experimental and/or server that'll act as my messageboard machine. Dunno yet. I have a *nix machine already running but it's acting as my server, and has an awesome uptime at the moment. As long as it can get online, compile packages etc I don't mind. If this gives me too much trouble then I'll get the OpenDarwin distro. The CD image is burning as we speak.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/f...ar.gz?download

get that file, then:

http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc/bund...tall-first.php

apparently they have a script which runs thru building the whole system. u just unzip and untar the tarball, cd into the foldre it makes, and run the bootstrap script. i dont know if its supported on x86. u almost certainly can't use apt-get, or dpkg, or the binary installation tools (for packages). u'll probably have to do source install (the fink command) for everything.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    drumbug1drumbug1 Posts: 155member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

Hey all. I'm downloading the latest Darwin release (pure Darwin) that I'm gonna try and install on an older PC that I have. Is it possible to get the source code for Fink so it can be built on an x86 box? If not then I'll build each program from source. If you can build Fink from source where do I get the source? Is it available in CVS? Where do I find the CVS commands? Has anyone installed Darwin on an x86 machine before? Should I post my PC's specs?

Thanks.

Heh... how'd this go?

I've been using Darwin/x86 for quite some time... It's really pretty cool.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by drumbug1

Heh... how'd this go?

I've been using Darwin/x86 for quite some time... It's really pretty cool.

I got as far as it trying to find the local disk and then it just dies.... Any suggestions?

Does the installation CD have desktop environments such as KDE on it as an option to install?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

I got as far as it trying to find the local disk and then it just dies.... Any suggestions?

Does the installation CD have desktop environments such as KDE on it as an option to install?

When you say that you got as far as it trying to find the local disk, what do you mean? When booting the CD to install it?

As far was what comes "by default": twm and that's it.

You can install KDE or GNOME or GNUstep or whatever else you want, but you'll have to compile it. I haven't used Fink on x86, but I have been told that it works. I know that darwinports does work on x86 (although many of the ports won't build because no-one tests x86!) I have also used both KDE and GNUstep on darwin/x86. I recently tried to get GNOME to compile but had problems with the versions of certain dependencies I had installed.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by drumbug1

When you say that you got as far as it trying to find the local disk, what do you mean? When booting the CD to install it?

As far was what comes "by default": twm and that's it.

You can install KDE or GNOME or GNUstep or whatever else you want, but you'll have to compile it. I haven't used Fink on x86, but I have been told that it works. I know that darwinports does work on x86 (although many of the ports won't build because no-one tests x86!) I have also used both KDE and GNUstep on darwin/x86. I recently tried to get GNOME to compile but had problems with the versions of certain dependencies I had installed.

Yeah. It boots from the CD just fine but it can never find the local/Root disk so the installation never starts..... Are the KDE and GNOME sources included on the Darwin X86 CD?

Thanks in advance..
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Yeah. It boots from the CD just fine but it can never find the local/Root disk so the installation never starts..... Are the KDE and GNOME sources included on the Darwin X86 CD?

Thanks in advance..

Sounds like you've _possibly_ run into unsupported hardware. That'd be my first guess. What motherboard are you trying to do this on? If you don't know, let me know what information you know about the system (ex: Compaq Presario 2837 w/ Pentium II)

As far as what sources are included on the Darwin cd:

none (that I know of). It's only the RPMs for Darwin/ppc and Darwin/x86. You have to remember that this is straight from Apple (assuming you are using 7.0).

Also, let me know what CD you are using and where you downloaded it.