Virtual Pc 7

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
...so what's up with that software? There are some leaks and previews for office 2004 and msn messenger, but none for virtual pc. Nothing (I mean NOTHING) new came out ever since January 6, which is when M$ announced it.

Known Information so far is: G5 supports it and is faster and better.

Anything else (info) out there?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    koya87koya87 Posts: 10member
    BTW, some ideas that people thought will be newly introduced to VPC (not a rumor, ideas that came out of forums) are:

1.) Games: DirectX is going to be supported, because their XBox2 emulator technology that they're developing for running XBox1 games is going to be ported.

2.) VPC7 is going to be a cocoa application; no more os9 support.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Does anyone out there actually like VPC? Perhaps it is a necesssary evil for some.... But evil it remains. I had to buy VPC5 for a specific use - which has now thankfully expired - and I have no plans to buy any updates. The damn thing never worked well enough to be a real solution in any case. I might have been better off buying a cheap, used PC and getting rid of the machine afterwards.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I had to use VPC so I could do my assembly programming in SPIM, which is emulating a MIPS processor.

There was a mac version, but the coder got hired by MS and poof, dead mac version falling behind PC version (this software is free BTW).

Nothing like using an emulator to run an emulator to make you realize that nothing's better than native software.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I just bought a $200 real (not virtual) PC to replace VPC. The PC doesn't come with Windows or a monitor, but I already have both of those items.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by koya87

Why would they bother porting VPC to Cocoa? Not even their RDP client is Cocoa, and it would be easy *there*.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by spotcatbug

I just bought a $200 real (not virtual) PC to replace VPC. The PC doesn't come with Windows or a monitor, but I already have both of those items.

I have a PC that I built in '99 (dual celery 500MHz) that still works fine. I'm just trying to stay away from it in general. I just enjoy working on my PowerBook more than working on my PC.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    koya87koya87 Posts: 10member
    The Japanese site of mactopia posted details on microsoft office and virtual pc 7. RUMORS OF UPCOMING MSN MESSENGER 4 WITH THE OFFICE SUITE WAS INDEED TRUE. Also, Virtual PC for mac 7 bundled with the professional edition ONLY WORKKS WITH XP. Fortunately, I am a Japanese person so I got the information; it's amazing that they updated the Japanese site faster the English. Babelfish the site if you're Japanese-illiterate.

Virtual oc 7 requires 512MB of ram. Needs to be on Panther for G5s. More than 4 gigs of drive space.

Office 2004, by the way, says to require 256mbRAM/840mbHD.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    rara Posts: 623member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

I had to use VPC so I could do my assembly programming in SPIM, which is emulating a MIPS processor.

There was a mac version, but the coder got hired by MS and poof, dead mac version falling behind PC version (this software is free BTW).

Nothing like using an emulator to run an emulator to make you realize that nothing's better than native software.

Go to google, type in 'Mac OS X spim' and click "I'm feeling lucky."
  • Reply 9 of 14
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I bought VPC5 a few years ago, and never was emailed my registration key, and they refused to give it to me(bastards).

I have VPC4, and am not impressed. You're probably better off getting a cheap Wal-mart PC, putting Windows 98 on it, and using VNC to access it.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by koya87

1.) Games: DirectX is going to be supported, because their XBox2 emulator technology that they're developing for running XBox1 games is going to be ported.

I don't know why you think because it came from a forum it means it's true.

Both of those things are BS.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ra

Go to google, type in 'Mac OS X spim' and click "I'm feeling lucky."

Hey thanks for the info! Too bad I finished my ASM work over a year ago LOL.

I think I'll download the source though. I'd like to pick apart a Cocoa project or 3 so I can learn the Cocoa APIs.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    jay1jay1 Posts: 22member
    VPC 7 is still in beta yes but ms is stupid they only have a handfull of testers for it. under 50 testers. a lot of busness use hundreds. like ms office 2004 has loads of testers
  • Reply 13 of 14
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    Any ideas on the release date of Virtual PC 7.0
  • Reply 14 of 14
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by markiv

Any ideas on the release date of Virtual PC 7.0

Amazon lists July 19th as the release date for Office 2004 Professional, which is supposed to include VPC 7. No idea about a standalone version though.