Which palm.. and palm question

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello, my dad said he would buy me a palm (yay!) under $250. I use mac (duh, and yay!) and was wondering if Palm would be able to sync with my iCal and address book? Also, which palm should I go for, Tungsten E or Zire 71? I want to be able to view and edit natively Microsoft Word and Excel documents. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Also, is there any other PDA's that would work with mac osx? pocket pc probably doesnt work right?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

Hello, my dad said he would buy me a palm (yay!) under $250. I use mac (duh, and yay!) and was wondering if Palm would be able to sync with my iCal and address book? Also, which palm should I go for, Tungsten E or Zire 71? I want to be able to view and edit natively Microsoft Word and Excel documents. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Also, is there any other PDA's that would work with mac osx? pocket pc probably doesnt work right?

Any Palm will work with your Mac right out of the box. Some of the Sony Clie's will too. Other Clie's will not and you need to get the Missing Sync to get them to work. As for which palm you should get, that's a personal thing. What do you need to do with it? Do you have any bluetooth devices? Do you need a camera, etc? etc.

I've got a palm T3 and, while I don't love it like I love my iPod or my powerbook, I like it. It does what I need and it does it reliably.

PocketPC's actually do work with Macs, but you need buy either the Missing Sync or PocketMac to use it. I'd avoid the PPCs, based on personal experience. I had an iPAQ 2215 for about 5 months and it just wasn't a good PDA. I needed it to, first and foremost, remind me of things. There's a bug in Windows Mobile 2003, the OS on PPCs, that prevents alarms for appointments from sounding from time to time. Go figure. A PDA that doesn't remind you of your appointments. (Only MS would let that get out the door.) After that, and losing my data inexplicably a couple times and having my regular, full backups fail to restore my device, I gave up on it. I've had my T3 for about 4 months now and not one data loss. PPCs, IMNSHO are shit and this has nothing to do with what computer you sync them to.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    the tungsten e doesn't have bluetooth unfortunately, only the tungsten t2 and up has it... But the difference between zire71 and e is that the e has 16 mb more memory built in, comes with documents to go pro, and built in speakers. but the zire does have that cool camera

My dad told me never to go with PPC so I guess that's out of the question