Next Generation G5+ 975, 976, or 980

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This is the all encompassing thread for the next generation of G5, the G5+ if you will...

If I could summarize some information that has dribbled down the pipeline in the past year:

-Speed increases up to 50% for the same clock rate.

-Hyper Threading capability

-Onboard memory controller

The word is that the 970 was designed at the tail end of the POWER 4 series, and the original 970 chip was fast-tracked for delivery.

This next gen G5 (975, 976, 980 - whichever its name) was designed concurrently with the POWER 5, and will be ready for production soon after the POWER 5 introduction beginning at 3gHz.

Any thoughts, information, or further discussion?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    I found this link from another thread VERY helpful...

Quote:

Originally posted by Big Mac

People will probably be interested in this:

POWER to the People (POWER History)

• Reply 2 of 26
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Yes, the first PPC's based on the Power5 will start shipping in the second half of this year.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

Yes, the first PPC's based on the Power5 will start shipping in the second half of this year.

Now, where this comes from?
  • Reply 4 of 26
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    Here's something picked up from another site's forums:

"The upcoming 9XX IBM PowerPC processor, that will likely be based largely on the Power5, will raise the power use per Ghz over the 970fx. That's due to a likely larger L2 cache and a feature similiar to Intel's Hyperthreading causing the chip to utilize on average more of the chips resources at any one time.

But don't expect much higher frequency rate on the next 9XX chip after the 970fx, IBM focused on using the available resources more efficiently rather boosting the clock rate."
  • Reply 5 of 26
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mugwump

I just thought there should be an all encompassing thread for the next generation of G5, the G5+ if you will...

It seems the G5+ will further down the road go dual-core.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    From, ahem, yet another forum:

"AFAIK GPUL2 (PPC975?) development was much closer to POWER 5

development, POWER 5 systems have been up and running since

February 2003. A year on POWER 5 is ready to rock and roll. I believe

GPUL2 is not far from launch and that there is the possibility that

Apple will forego a revision of the G5 Power Mac in order to ship the G6,

if they choose to call it that, on schedule. This may also relate to

DDR2 and PCI-Express adoption, GPUs for PCI-Express are ready

to go soon. One thing that has puzzled me for a long while is seeing

VMX mentioned in relation to POWER 5 supers but having no sign

of it yet."
  • Reply 7 of 26
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

From, ahem, yet another forum:

"One thing that has puzzled me for a long while is seeing

VMX mentioned in relation to POWER 5 supers but having no sign

of it yet."

That is because the POWER series has not had it, but the PowerPC (970 included) have VMX/SIMD. I am guessing the 980 or whatever the POWER5 little-brother is called will.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    From MOSR... And somebody shoot me...

Quote:

tied to the PowerPC 975, apparently. IBM has plans to release a compact system board that Apple will use to power a super-compact version of the Cube with an aluminum enclosure, 100% passive cooling, and three full-size expansion slots (PCI Express, two PCI-X 266).

THIS is stupid... THREE slots in a cube? IBM making the motherboard? WTF are MOSR smoking???

Oh... And a re-release of the cube on top..
  • Reply 9 of 26
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

WTF are MOSR smoking???

The same thing they've been smoking for years. The same thing they were smoking when they got into their car crash. The same thing they are smoking all day, every day looking at the flashy flash ads their site is now littered with.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    MOSR is back in shape, clearly.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Perhaps you should look at the date they posted this story on...
  • Reply 12 of 26
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    I was thinking the same thing..

Gosh, people should really learn to listen to nothing on April fools..

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Power5 a whole heap of processors in one ceramic base? Or does it just look like eight processors on a ceramic base..

What is the big deal about it. I read the site, but I got a little overwhelmed.. Anyone know how to simplify what is is and what's so good about it?

Thanks!

Jimzip
  • Reply 13 of 26
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jimzip

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Power5 a whole heap of processors in one ceramic base? Or does it just look like eight processors on a ceramic base..

POWER5 has four cores and some massive caches, if I am not mistaken. I think this is what you see in the image.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by m01ety

The same thing they've been smoking for years. The same thing they were smoking when they got into their car crash. The same thing they are smoking all day, every day looking at the flashy flash ads their site is now littered with.

I've been reading MOSR for about 7 years now... But this has to be the most stupid rumor they've ever posted..
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Ahem, in an effort to get this thread away from fictional creative writing websites (MOSR), here is some information from a last year's article in the Register, which appears to be spot on a number of items:

"The chip family's future goes something like this. IBM will follow the current G5, the PowerPC 970 with the 980, based on the Power 5. The 980, says the source, will be chip that delivers Steve Jobs' promise of a 3GHz Power Mac this time next year. The part will kick off at 2.6-3GHz and max out at 4.5-5GHz. By comparison, the 970 will peak at 2.8GHz.

The 980 will include Simultaneous Multi-threading (SMT), which the source claims provides a 30 per cent performance gain over Intel's implementation SMT, called HyperThreading. The 980 will also feature IBM's eLiza fault-tolerance technology. Greater parallelism will be provided by extra computational units: one more AltiVec, two more floating point units, and two more integer units."

LINK to Article
  • Reply 16 of 26
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    I'd love some of this in my pipe!

Quote:

The 980 will include Simultaneous Multi-threading (SMT), which the source claims provides a 30 per cent performance gain over Intel's implementation SMT, called HyperThreading. The 980 will also feature IBM's eLiza fault-tolerance technology. Greater parallelism will be provided by extra computational units: one more AltiVec, two more floating point units, and two more integer units.

• Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:

"The chip family's future goes something like this. IBM will follow the current G5, the PowerPC 970 with the 980, based on the Power 5. The 980, says the source, will be chip that delivers Steve Jobs' promise of a 3GHz Power Mac this time next year. The part will kick off at 2.6-3GHz and max out at 4.5-5GHz. By comparison, the 970 will peak at 2.8GHz.

The 980 will include Simultaneous Multi-threading (SMT), which the source claims provides a 30 per cent performance gain over Intel's implementation SMT, called HyperThreading. The 980 will also feature IBM's eLiza fault-tolerance technology. Greater parallelism will be provided by extra computational units: one more AltiVec, two more floating point units, and two more integer units."

Whoo hoo!! The next lineup of Macs is going to kick some major ass.. Assuming that combining the dual processors = the GHz value. (i.e, dual 2.0Ghz = 4Ghz) And there's no real reason why it shouldn't (is there?)..

edit: We would be almost at 10GHz then! Dual 4.5 = 9GHz!!

What's after Gigahertz? it it Terahertz?

Ohhh.. Dual 4.5GHz.. :drool:

I'm such a geek...

I've heard before that this isn't the case however, that having two processors isn't the equivalent of just adding their power together.. But it kind of makes logical sense if you think about it..

Jimzip
  • Reply 18 of 26
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

I've heard before that this isn't the case however, that having two processors isn't the equivalent of just adding their power together.. But it kind of makes logical sense if you think about it..

True, a dual 2.0 isn't the same thing as a 4ghz, but it's close, some would say ~the same as a 3.6ish. So a dual 4.5 would not be 9ghz, probably closer to 7.5-8. The system bandwidth has to keep up too Processors can only shuttle data between them so fast. I would imagine as the processors got faster, they would have more bandwidth problems.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    Quote:

What's after Gigahertz? it it Terahertz?

Ohhh.. Dual 4.5GHz.. :drool:

I'm such a geek...

We need a little more then just a few Hz to hit a Terahertz... Try 1000 Gigahertz = 1 Terahertz
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Oh yeah!!!

Me so stupid! lol

I thought there was something strange about my calculations...

I therefore edited my last post.. Muhahahah..

Jimzip