Seen the latest Intel UnWire Ads?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I saw the latest Intel unwire ad (with the couple sticking a vidcam on a laptop), and it used an OS X screenshot on the PC latptop! Even my wife caught it.

You can tell because there's a menubar across the top of the screen and it's not due to a maximized window. At least that seems to be my impression.

Maybe someone has this on their Tivo and they can scavenge a still so we could analyze in detail?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    In one of the ads, it shows some guy using his Windows notebook somewhere in Antarctica. Clearly in the ad he is connected to the Internet (well, the ad is about using the Internet wirelessly, duh). Yes, we all know there are WiFi networks all over the frozen wasteland of Antarctica waiting to be used...
  • Reply 2 of 11
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Oh the irony continues
  • Reply 3 of 11
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shatteringglass

In one of the ads, it shows some guy using his Windows notebook somewhere in Antarctica. Clearly in the ad he is connected to the Internet. Yes, we all know there are WiFi networks all over the frozen wasteland of Antarctica waiting to be used...

Don't you know? That's what the penguins got in return for doing Coca Cola commercials!
  • Reply 4 of 11
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    and APPLE is getting pointed out for misleading advertising?????
  • Reply 5 of 11
    It actually is not an OS X screen grab. You can tell by looking closely at the screenshot. The menubar is pure white and uses a thicker font (looks kind of like Chicago). Also, if you look at the window in the commercial, it is not anything like an aqua window. The widgets are on the right, and the titlebar is square. Also, the icons you can see on the desktop is not anything like an OS X icon.

However, the fake OS was definately inspired by Mac OS, although I would bet it was inspired more from OS 8 or 9 rather than X.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

Don't you know? That's what the penguins got in return for doing Coca Cola commercials!

Shouldn't they running linux?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Which one you were talking about?

http://www.intel.com/intel/promotions/unwire/ads.htm

BTW.. this one doesn't look like a Windows browser

• Reply 8 of 11
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    actually, Antarctica has surprisingly high Internet Traffic/bandwidth for its population.

as a 'hazardous duty posting' with enforced isolation for months,

you better give them an awesome library (or access to one) to prevent madness

one of the 'perqs' IIRC, T3 or better access.

1995 and 1999 info, but the data proves penquins post/pull plenty o' packets

from Atlas of Cyberspaces
  • Reply 9 of 11
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth

Which one you were talking about?

http://www.intel.com/intel/promotions/unwire/ads.htm

BTW.. this one doesn't look like a Windows browser

It was the Etna ad.

Upon closer inspection it looks like XP. Damn.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    In the movie "Underworld" the hot vampire chick is using a boring PC laptop running OS X. It's the only time I've ever seen someone run the "Graphite" theme.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

In the movie "Underworld" the hot vampire chick is using a boring PC laptop running OS X. It's the only time I've ever seen someone run the "Graphite" theme.

Both my brothers do. Now I think they are crazy.