ATi and 256MB graphics..

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just did a google search while on the phone to a PC using buddy of mine (no hissing please) and found that ATi has indeed taken a step in the right direction releasing a 256MB Mac version of their Radeon 9800 Pro lineup.

Many graphics folk I know as well as myself have been steadily streaming a barrage of emails to ATi customer support asking when the Mac product line will sync with the Windows/Intel support. Although they are a few months late, they have released it. Which is reassuring..

Check it out.

http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/press/2004/4724.html

On another note. Does anyone know if there is actually any difference between the Mac and PC graphics card hardware? I E-mailed the customer support about that and recieved a semi-confusing response:

Quote:

"Regarding PC video cards vs. MAC video cards:

Mac video cards are specifically designed to make the most out of MAC architecture. The same is done with PC video cards. This also prevents the cards from being used between platforms.

Regarding future availability of 256 MB MAC cards:

At this time no announcement has been made about a 256 MB card, you may wish to check our pressroom which provides information on future product releases at...

I guess that means they make some kind of manufacturing difference that prevents the cards being used on the opposite platform.. Anyone know anything about this?

I did e-mail back asking what exactly the difference is, but never recieved a response..

Jimzip

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jimzip

I guess that means they make some kind of manufacturing difference that prevents the cards being used on the opposite platform.. Anyone know anything about this?

There has been already a discussion on a similar topic. You may find this useful, as a start at least.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Ah thanks. I did do a search in this forum.. (oops) But not the others.

Jimzip