HP Printers and Ink Reserve

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, i have the HP Deskjet 5150, and it has an ink reserve feature that lets you print documents even after you run out of black ink so that you don't run out in the middle of a document.

Well how does this work? Does it just lie and tell you that the cartridge is out before it is? Does it take some from the cartridge and keep that as a reserve or does it have a hidden one somewhere that it uses if the main is out?

I'm just wondering because my ink low/out light has been on for a long time and I've just continued to print and it works fine. Should I print until it can't print anymore and replace it, or should I replace it right now?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    The ink lights aren't accurate.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    If you print photos I would replace it. But if you print simple documents that can be easily printed again keep printing until it runs out and get your money's worth.

My epson 2200 will tell me just how much ink is left and how many pages like the last one can be printed.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Well according to the print utility, it says there is 0% black in left. I normally don't print photographs, so I guess I'll just keep printing until I can't anymore. Thanks