Clamshell iBook battery

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My wife has a older iBook in need of a new / like new battery, I have looked all over the internet for one with little luck. Even the ones I did run across are really expensive... Does anyone know of a site or business that is selling these types of batteries?

Linc

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    I did a search last summer for the clamshell iBook battery. Since my sister bought the new while iBook, she kept the old clamshell iBook inside the closet with the battery. Obviously, the battery went bad due to that.

I am not sure the Mac market in Germany. I did do a search on eBay and Google. They has some original Apple-made and third-party battery for the clamshell iBook. However, I don't feel like buying battery from eBay or third-party made.

So I first went to the local AppleStore and asked the MacGenius. The guy checked the price for the new battery.. about US$169 + S&H. It was pricey indeed. I went back home, and called AppleCare line. The person on the phone said US$160. I ended up purchased it. I received the battery on the next day.

Since you can use the iBook without the battery.. I am not sure your wife uses it as a "desktop" or a true notebook. However, you can save some money by plugging in the iBook to the AC.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    Do a search with Google's Froogle... http://www.google.com/froogle?q=clamshell+ibook+battery

Looks like prices are in the $150 ballpark
  • Reply 3 of 5
    lincolnlincoln Posts: 11member
    Thanks for the advice, I'm a little nervous about getting a used / refurb battery from the net and for sure eBay. How well did the battery work you got from Apple? Being an older model battery I'm reading that even if it has never been used it might not be exactly new due to the shelf life.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Here are a few more options. The first one on the list is the one you need, and it's only 90USD.

Prices brought to you by: PriceGrabber
  • Reply 5 of 5
    lincolnlincoln Posts: 11member
    Thanks a lot for the info~