Terrorism...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Today on CNN.com there was a report saying that the government has intelligence that terrorists will try to go from the air to the ground targeting trains and busses for different terrorist attacks that may be attempted. The article made me think how convenient it is that with the hearings going on for the sept. 11 attacks are they just telling us about every single threat they can put their hands on so it looks like good work or do they really want to keep their jobs? Also i was wondering if you(people in america) feel safe and if you(anyone) think we should brace for impact of another catastrophe?

time for inquiry

PS

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    It's just something I live with now, being a New Yorker.

Welcome to my 'new normal'.

• Reply 2 of 11
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    I wouldn't go so far as to lump this warning into some WH Republican conspiracy. As far as do "I" feel safe? Yes but that has nothing to do with the overall level of safety in the US. I've simply resigned my self to the fact that there WILL be another attack at some time. That attack will probably coencide with this years elections whether or not we cathc OBL. Look at Isreal. They have reduced attacks but have not completly elliminated them. If and when terrorist want to attack they will. If you resign yourself to that fact then your are less likely to live every day in some abstract fear. Once you stop living in fear, politicians can no longer play on those fears which means they will have to present facts not FUD.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Taking the el in downtown chicago has been a scary experience since sept 11, and it only gets worse as the months go past.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Personally i live in a relatively small town, one of the bigger in my anchor community but i live right on the coast(east) not more than ten miles from a Nuclear Power Plant that has had some threats made to it so i am not Scared but somewhere between that and where i should be.

my personal status

PS
  • Reply 5 of 11
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Terror is now on the tips of everyone's tongues, when it used to be something that we knew about but didn't really think about. Though it's been a while since the alert level changed, remember when it was changing all the time?

That's hardly 'fighting' terror, when you give your citizens more to worry about by rubbing it in their face.

How do you fight terror? not be terrorized. How do you do that? not let threats and propaganda get to you.

I think, the more people pan over "will terrorists strike today?" and get all worried and paranoid, the more the terrorists are succeeding. \
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by faust9

I wouldn't go so far as to lump this warning into some WH Republican conspiracy. As far as do "I" feel safe? Yes but that has nothing to do with the overall level of safety in the US. I've simply resigned my self to the fact that there WILL be another attack at some time. That attack will probably coencide with this years elections whether or not we cathc OBL. Look at Isreal. They have reduced attacks but have not completly elliminated them. If and when terrorist want to attack they will. If you resign yourself to that fact then your are less likely to live every day in some abstract fear. Once you stop living in fear, politicians can no longer play on those fears which means they will have to present facts not FUD.

good post, kind of what I was getting at in mine.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Terror is now on the tips of everyone's tongues, when it used to be something that we knew about but didn't really think about. Though it's been a while since the alert level changed, remember when it was changing all the time?

That's hardly 'fighting' terror, when you give your citizens more to worry about by rubbing it in their face.

How do you fight terror? not be terrorized. How do you do that? not let threats and propaganda get to you.

I think, the more people pan over "will terrorists strike today?" and get all worried and paranoid, the more the terrorists are succeeding. \

you make a good point and i think that i am agreeance that terrorism is just a hot word that people have used since the attacks just like 9/11 i hate that phrase so much? its put all those people's deaths into some small category? damn them

condeming the people for saying 9/11

PS
  • Reply 8 of 11
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

Today on CNN.com there was a report saying that the government has intelligence that terrorists will try to go from the air to the ground targeting trains and busses for different terrorist attacks that may be attempted. The article made me think how convenient it is that with the hearings going on for the sept. 11 attacks are they just telling us about every single threat they can put their hands on so it looks like good work or do they really want to keep their jobs? Also i was wondering if you(people in america) feel safe and if you(anyone) think we should brace for impact of another catastrophe?

time for inquiry

PS

well, you know, all the planning and security in the world couldnt stop some people. terrorism is just a part of life (er... death... ok ok, poor taste). anyways, changing your lifestyle or fearing terrorism is exactly what people like bin laden want. you know what, the terrorists totally scored a victory ( in their eyes) with 9/11: they killed americans, got attention, and ripped apart our nation in political debates and hearings. 2 and half years after the attacks, our nation is killing itself b/c everyone is pissed off at everyone else, and people cower at the thought of another attack.

live life the way you used to, do whatever you want, and if something happens, its going to happen no matter who's president and definately no matter how much people whine about it.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

well, you know, all the planning and security in the world couldnt stop some people. terrorism is just a part of life (er... death... ok ok, poor taste). anyways, changing your lifestyle or fearing terrorism is exactly what people like bin laden want. you know what, the terrorists totally scored a victory ( in their eyes) with 9/11: they killed americans, got attention, and ripped apart our nation in political debates and hearings. 2 and half years after the attacks, our nation is killing itself b/c everyone is pissed off at everyone else, and people cower at the thought of another attack.

live life the way you used to, do whatever you want, and if something happens, its going to happen no matter who's president and definately no matter how much people whine about it.

you also make some good statements in that but my question is wether you hear a story every day about "oh did you hear their planning this? that and the other thing" i think that the gov't is just tring to make it seem as it their on top of things by giving the little information they know
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

you also make some good statements in that but my question is wether you hear a story every day about "oh did you hear their planning this? that and the other thing" i think that the gov't is just tring to make it seem as it their on top of things by giving the little information they know

or don't know \
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

or don't know \

well yah i mean the word little was in there