Entry-Level Unix jobs?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Is there such a thing as an entry-level unix job?

I really want to get away from windows faster than a Troy from the Apprentice cliche.

Linux and Unix I suppose. But I also want to use my Mac.

What should I search for on the job search sites?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

Is there such a thing as an entry-level unix job?

I really want to get away from windows faster than a Troy from the Apprentice cliche.

Linux and Unix I suppose. But I also want to use my Mac.

What should I search for on the job search sites?

Unfortunate as it may be... the dot com bubble bursting put a lot of *nix people into the job market. Employers can get experienced Unix developers for half what they could a few years ago, and those people have at least a few years of functional experience. I am speaking personally from my cohorts in the Austin area. I am not sure there is "entry level" - unless you get on somewhere for something else, and then train into Unix/Linux. I would say start with certification, which will at least get you in the door.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    When my roommate graduated with a CS degree (before there even was an internet) he got a unix job programming call waiting for a major phone company. Maybe you could look there. If you have a good science and math background a university research group maybe looking for someone. My department wants a 40 blade cluster but one problem is that non of the research programmers likes unix that much. They still use VMS