Playfair fairplay! [merged with iTMS DRM hacked]

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
http://playfair.sourceforge.net/

it seems that fairplay has finally been hacked...

Quote:

So what will playfair do for you? The playfair program is quite simple. It takes one of the iTMS Protected AAC Audio Files, decodes it using a key obtained from your iPod or Microsoft Windows system and then writes the new, decoded version to disk as a regular AAC Audio File. It then optionally copies the metadata tags that describe the song, including the cover art, to the new file.

so basically no loss of audio quality, it just gets rid of the DRM...

the catch is that the computer has to be authorized to play the song in the first place so it doesn't completely circumvent the DRM... but for my purposes (using my purchased music on other computers I would rather not authorize) it works great...

anyone compile it yet?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

http://playfair.sourceforge.net/

it seems that fairplay has finally been hacked...

so basically no loss of audio quality, it just gets rid of the DRM...

the catch is that the computer has to be authorized to play the song in the first place so it doesn't completely circumvent the DRM... but for my purposes (using my purchased music on other computers I would rather not authorize) it works great...

anyone compile it yet?

I'm not sure how this is any different from the other "cracks" we've seen before. When someone figures out how to play a protected song that the got from KaZaA or some other p2p (meaning they don't have any way of playing an encrypted file), then I'll call .aac cracked.

Til then, it's just a circle jerk of g33ks claiming they "scored".
  • Reply 2 of 50
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i think we'll see a lawsuit sometime this week
  • Reply 3 of 50
    rara Posts: 623member
    ./configure

make

make install

Code:

make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

<homer simpson> D'oh! </homer simpson>
  • Reply 4 of 50
    mmmmkay, so i got through ./configure, make, and sudo make install

so the question i have here is how the hell do i use this program??
  • Reply 5 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

so the question i have here is how the hell do i use this program??

In the terminal type the following:

Code:

playfair path/file.mp4 new_path/new_file.m4a

It's only worked for me so far with my iPod plugged in.
  • Reply 6 of 50
    Here's a shell script to convert all songs in a directory:

Code:

#! /bin/tcsh

if( $1 != "" ) then

cd "$1"

endif

foreach f (*)

switch( "$f:e" )

case m4p:

set i = "$f:r"

echo converting "$f"...

playfair "$f" "$i".m4a

breaksw

default:

breaksw

endsw

end

• Reply 7 of 50
    damn, must have done something wrong, tells me -bash: playfair: command not found
  • Reply 8 of 50
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

I'm not sure how this is any different from the other "cracks" we've seen before. When someone figures out how to play a protected song that the got from KaZaA or some other p2p (meaning they don't have any way of playing an encrypted file), then I'll call .aac cracked.

Til then, it's just a circle jerk of g33ks claiming they "scored".

It's an odd definition that something has to violate copyright before it can be considered a crack. This program (apparently) cracks the encryption of iTunes tracks if you are the legitimate owner. Forget about "legitimate owner". This program (apparently) cracks the encryption of iTunes tracks.

Also, .aac is raw audio. You are thinking of FairPlay, which apparently is independant from AAC.

Barto
  • Reply 9 of 50
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

damn, must have done something wrong, tells me -bash: playfair: command not found

You probably don't have your $PATH variable set up correctly. It installs the program in the directory /usr/local/bin/ - and the shell isn't set up to take commands from that directory by default. Try calling the program by it's complete pathname, which would be /usr/local/bin/playfair

If you want to use more unix-y programs, this is going to be the directory they'll be stored in, so I would suggest looking up how to set your $PATH variable up. I would here, but the problem is that it's dependent upon what shell you use, and what you already have done.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I used to be a big fan of osdn, but after todays events I think they have crossed a line of ethics:

some punks wrote a crack for ITMS FairPlay (the drm), and posted it as a sourceforge project, and source fourgge has yet to take it down, to make matters worse: their news arm, slashdot which I read like 12x/day is running a story to promote it!

I wrote (edit: as a message board post) a very clean, and professinal disortation on the ethics or lack thereof of posting and hypeing something like this when the apple scheme is the most friendly thing the RIAA will ever do, and appearently, it was deep-sixed, it is nowhere to be found and i had to voice my outrage somewhere

thatnks in advance to the mods here for not thought-policing this post
  • Reply 11 of 50
    maybe im doing something wrong, but it seems that every time i try, the file crashes itunes or quicktime when trying to play, i tried vlc, but there is no audio.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

thatnks in advance to the mods here for not thought-policing this post

They probably won't "thought police it" but they will lock it.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Not when the Merge function is so handy.
  • Reply 14 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Not when the Merge function is so handy.

That's why you get paid the big bucks.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Yawn. Same ol' same ol'.

I'd expect this to result in slightly more iTMS sales rather than less. The music is and always has been distributed through P2P in equally high fidelity encodings. Copyright infringers do not need the iTMS encoded version. Meanwhile, people who refuse to buy DRM'd goods can now buy effectively no-DRM music in iTMS.
  • Reply 16 of 50
    This is not good
  • Reply 17 of 50
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I wrote (edit: as a message board post) a very clean, and professinal disortation on the ethics or lack thereof of posting and hypeing something like this when the apple scheme is the most friendly thing the RIAA will ever do, and appearently, it was deep-sixed, it is nowhere to be found and i had to voice my outrage somewhere

So even though iTunes encryption can hamper fair use and this product can overcome it, because the RIAA wants worse solutions we are supposed to start kissing Apple's ass?

I fail to spot the logic. Digital music seems to bring out the irrational in people.

Barto
  • Reply 18 of 50
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    This will have little effect on the popularity of iTMS. In fact it will probably increase its popularity, if anything. The penchant for most people to use p2p services is born out of convenience rather a desire to steal. Tools like this make the iTMS service even more convenient.

Just look the other way, it's just like installing copies of software on other computers with one license. As long as you use it for yourself, it's no harm/no foul, right?
  • Reply 19 of 50
    Quote:

Rolling Stone: How did the the record companies react when you initially approached them about getting on-board with Apple?

Steve Jobs: Well, there's a lot of smart people at the music companies. The problem is, they're not technology people. The good music companies do an amazing thing. They have people who can pick the person that's gonna be successful out of 5,000 candidates. And there's not enough information to do that -- it's an intuitive process. And the best music companies know how to do that with a reasonably high success rate.

I think that's a good thing. The world needs more smart editorial these days. The problem is, is that that has nothing to do with technology. And so when the Internet came along, and Napster came along, they didn't know what to make of it. A lot of these folks didn't use computers -- weren't on e-mail; didn't really know what Napster was for a few years. They were pretty doggone slow to react. Matter of fact, they still haven't really reacted, in many ways. And so they're fairly vulnerable to people telling them technical solutions will work, when they won't.

RS: Because of their technological ignorance.

SJ: Because of their technological innocence, I would say. When we first went to talk to these record companies -- you know, it was a while ago. It took us 18 months. And at first we said: None of this technology that you're talking about's gonna work. We have Ph.D.'s here, that know the stuff cold, and we don't believe it's possible to protect digital content.

RS: Of course, music theft is nothing new. Didn't you listen to bootleg Bob Dylan?

SJ: Of course. What's new is this amazingly efficient distribution system for stolen property called the Internet -- and no one's gonna shut down the Internet. And it only takes one stolen copy to be on the Internet. And the way we expressed it to them is: Pick one lock -- open every door. It only takes one person to pick a lock. Worst case: Somebody just takes the analog outputs of their CD player and rerecords it -- puts it on the Internet. You'll never stop that. So what you have to do is compete with it.

At first, they kicked us out. But we kept going back again and again. The first record company to really understand this stuff was Warner. They have some smart people there, and they said: We agree with you. And next was Universal. Then we started making headway.

from: http://www.rollingstone.com/features...n.asp?pid=2529
  • Reply 20 of 50
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Did I just fall into an alternate universe?

I go to work for a few hours. I come back and both Eugene and stupider...likeafox have grown a brain in my absence.