Mac OS X vs Windows - How do I convert my friend from Windows to Mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a friend who's wanting and needing to get a new computer and I finally have them considering a Mac. They are basically a "home" user. Does anyone here know of any good, factual articles or rundowns on the pros, cons, myths of these operating systems. I'd like to find some solid explaination as to why Mac OS X is superior - cuz I know it is! I love my iBook G4 and I dread ever having to use Windows, especially XP.

So what is a good thing to use to make my friend become a "switcher"?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    There is no rival to:

X vs XP

Seriously, that's the most complete, non-biased a comparison you'll find anywhere online. I recommend it highly. The author regularly updates it with information as people present it to him on him forums.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macvault

I have a friend who's wanting and needing to get a new computer and I finally have them considering a Mac. They are basically a "home" user. Does anyone here know of any good, factual articles or rundowns on the pros, cons, myths of these operating systems. I'd like to find some solid explaination as to why Mac OS X is superior - cuz I know it is! I love my iBook G4 and I dread ever having to use Windows, especially XP.

let your friend mess around on your mac. getting to use a mac is the best the way to prove to someone that macs are better than pc's IMO.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Oh yeah and make it so he accidentally uses expose don't tell him about it if its not to late. I love look on my PC using friends faces when they accidentally hit the thumb button on my mouse and the windows go all over.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

There is no rival to:

X vs XP

Seriously, that's the most complete, non-biased a comparison you'll find anywhere online. I recommend it highly. The author regularly updates it with information as people present it to him on him forums.

And the best part about that site is that OS X wins, hands down...

It owned XP

OS X...724 to XP Pro...647

OS X...724 to XP Home...608
  • Reply 5 of 30
    You could also get him to setup a user account on your mac then watch his face drop as you get him to fast switch. Then tell him he can become a unix geek without having to dual boot, works for some people i guess
  • Reply 6 of 30
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

You could also get him to setup a user account on your mac then watch his face drop as you get him to fast switch. Then tell him he can become a unix geek without having to dual boot, works for some people i guess

I switched both my flatmates by lending them a spare machine I had. Sold, no problems. Both used to rip the piss out of Macintoshes before - now, they are both Mac users.

Golden. Just give your friend your mac for a week. It might be a week w/out it for you, but by gosh, it would be worth it.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad:

There is no rival to:

X vs XP

Seriously, that's the most complete, non-biased a comparison you'll find anywhere online.

Heh-heh-heh....

C'mon... there is no way you cannot call that *unbiased*. The way it's rated, the way it's weighted and there are some things (even as a Mac User) I strongly disagree with...

It is a good link to show people but let's not kid ourselves here.

Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac:

let your friend mess around on your mac. getting to use a mac is the best the way to prove to someone that macs are better than pc's IMO.

Agreed. Nothing beats a few hours of first hand experience.

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Concord

C'mon... there is no way you cannot call that *unbiased*. The way it's rated, the way it's weighted and there are some things (even as a Mac User) I strongly disagree with...

Show me any site with a complete run-down that is any less biased.

I'll wait.

The XvsXP forum is filled with both Mac and PC users and the numbers for the comparisons have long since been hashed out to an agreeable setting for both parties. I so disagree with some small parts too, but overall I find it to be a good comparison.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad:

Show me any site with a complete run-down that is any less biased.

Just because you can't find an unbiased review doesn't make *this* one any less biased.

There aren't any any good comparitive review sites I can think of off-hand but I would probably steer people towards reviews on Ars. Even the messageboards there can be very informative if you're willing to wade through some of the crap there.

Just my 2 bits,

C.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    try David Coursey's switching to Apple stories on zdnet.com. Great stuff from a PC user and journalist.

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-7297_16-5122766.html

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-7298_16-5120446.html

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-7296_16-5102125.html

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-7297_16-4207824.html

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-6033_16-4207739.html

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-6033_16-4207632.html

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-6033_16-4207178.html

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-6033_16-4207177.html

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-6033_16-4207070.html

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-6033_16-4206906.html

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-6033_16-4206872.html

Some of these articles are from 2002, but much still applies. As a windows person, I want to hear that macs are good from someone else who USES pcs (and not just a t work) So this just might do the trick. Coursey, being a PC guy, helps you navigate the quirkiness of Apple and tells you the work arounds.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Quote:

Just because you can't find an unbiased review doesn't make *this* one any less biased.

There aren't any any good comparitive review sites I can think of off-hand but I would probably steer people towards reviews on Ars. Even the messageboards there can be very informative if you're willing to wade through some of the crap there.

Just my 2 bits,

Or instead of sifting through PC vs Mac Flamewars You could read X vs XP.

So tell me because I am wondering, What is so biased about that site? Because OS X wins? I am sure that has nothing to do with it being a better OS...
  • Reply 12 of 30
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I have never understood this compulsion on the part of some Mac users to try and "switch" their friends from one platform to another. Is Apple paying you? Are you compelled to "save their souls"? Are you personally offended by their choice of platform. Do you hate MS so much that you can't stand to see a person use their products? Do you love Apple so much...? I don't get it. Are you people this meddlesome in other aspects of your friends'lives? This is the type of behavior that people associate with religions and cults.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Voyer

I have never understood this compulsion on the part of some Mac users to try and "switch" their friends from one platform to another. Is Apple paying you? Are you compelled to "save their souls"?

Save their souls? Now that's just silly.

Does this really need an explanation? The reasons are simple:

1. To (probably) make the other person's life at the computer a lot easier, friendlier, or better overall. There's the general UI, the Mac-only features, the lack of viruses/worms/etc...

2. More people that use Macs -> better market for developers -> better software and tools avaliable for all Mac users.

Of course, I'm sure there are some fanatics out there that harp about switching "just because", but I don't do that myself. For a lot of people, trying a Mac would be a great change. For some people, it's best for them to stick with Windows/Linux/whatever. This is often a case of the "right tool for the right job" or perhaps the "better tool" being a Mac.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    it's just like anything in life. if you think you have something really nice, and your friends don't, you like to tell them about it.

if you care, you want them using a Mac. PC's are for people i don't like.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Well you really just want your friends to make an imformed decision...especially those with a video camera..or a digital camera...or aspiring musicians...or the ones who call you up all the time with PC problems..... or those people still trying to figure out how to install a printer on their PC.......
  • Reply 16 of 30
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:

Did this friend ask you for buying advice or did you just assume they could not make a good purchasing decision on their own? Your statement that you finally have them considering a Mac makes it sound like you have been hounding them for a long time like a pushy salesman. You have obviously presented your case several times and they have rejected it. What is your motivation? You are convinced that you choice is the best so you will not stop until you have convinced them to think like you do. Do you do this with your preference of clothes, cars, hair styles, food? Do you try to convert meat eaters into vegetarians? Do you try to convert Christians into atheists? You state that you dread the thought of using Windows. So don't use it. I love my iBook too, but I don't try to make everyone I know switch to the Mac platform. Occasional, I am asked for buying advice. At such times, I give it. However, I do not have a personal stake in their decision. It seems that you do. This post goes for everyone who feels the calling to be a Mac evangelist. It is not your job to boost Apple's market share. You are not a salesman acting in his official capacity. Is Apple so fragile and incompetent that they can't do these jobs themselves? Do you really think that in the grand scheme of things, you are helping the platform? No matter how you justify it, this is cult-like behavior. Please understand that there is a difference between telling someone about your great new Mac, and insisting that they buy one themselves.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Voyer

No matter how you justify it, this is cult-like behavior. Please understand that there is a difference between telling someone about your great new Mac, and insisting that they buy one themselves.

Dude chill out jeez, its just computers, its like with Ford and Chevies, John Deer and Caterpillar amongst farmers. Sides its fun

My only thing is [and I hope this isn't bashing anyone] I hate how people say I "switched" them, like they turned them homo or something, I have a gay friend who says the exact same thing about how her gf "switched" her so to me that acronym/saying/term... its just creepy.

"dude i switched..."

"you're gay!?!"

"no no stupid@$$ I bought a mac"

"oh..."
  • Reply 18 of 30
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Ehh...

I wonder if I'm the only one thinking this way, but "how do I convince my friend Macs are good" is the wrong problem to solve.

Even a (good, ethical) computer salesman would first want to know what your friend wants to do with a computer. Then, and only then, it's possible to determine what OS and hardware are good for him/her, and why.

Have you worked with the best that Microsoft has to offer, like Windows 2000 Pro SP4, Windows XP SP2? How much factual basis do you have for your personal dread?
  • Reply 19 of 30
    guestguest Posts: 112member
    The best way to switch them is to email them the 10 nastiest viruses you can find, then say "I don't understand why those harmless files destroyed your pc, they don't cause any problems on my Mac."
  • Reply 20 of 30
    macvaultmacvault Posts: 323member
    Wow! Mac Voyer and Gon need to just chill out! RELAX already! I bet you'll try to pick apart this post too.

No, I've never tried to talk my friend into a mac. I am NOT a salesman type. The other day my friend needed help with their 7 year old IBM Aptiva and I recommended that they get a new computer. I didn't say Mac or Windows. I just said "a new computer". Then they asked me what the difference is with the mac and what is better about it and why I use a Mac. The person is a single lady in her 60s and I've known her for about 25 years.