problem viewing avi files in qt

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
i cant get avi files to open up, is there something i need to install to get them to work? ive downloaded other players and they dont seem to work either. whats with macs and avi's?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cam'ron

i cant get avi files to open up, is there something i need to install to get them to work? ive downloaded other players and they dont seem to work either. whats with macs and avi's?

Windows Media Player 9 from Microsoft. VLC from videolan.org work well.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    i have windows media player 9 and it wont let me use that to open it.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Get VLC. If VLC won't play it (unless it's a WMP9 file), nothing will.

Seriously.

Get it.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    yep, went back and read that part after my second post. it works. thanks a lot. but, is there no plugins or anything to get it to work in qt? i hate using four different players. thanks again.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    If you want to play AVIs in QuickTime, get both the DivX and the 3ivX codecs. Available at www.divx.com and www.3ivx.com.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca

If you want to play AVIs in QuickTime, get both the DivX and the 3ivX codecs. Available at www.divx.com and www.3ivx.com.

Unfortunately, that's still no guarantee. But VLC's a good player...it'll handle almost anything.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cam'ron

AVI is only a container of video and sound encoded in various codecs and you need to have the right codec installed to watch the files.

Are they old AVI files? Older AVIs were often encoded using the Indeo codec and unfortunately the company behind that codec is closed and they never made a Mac OS X compatible codec - you can find one that works in Classic though.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    VLC and/or MPlayer together should handle all audio/video files you can find.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    yes, the best way to watch por... ahem... avi's is with a third-party utility like VLC or MPlayer. You can try using Divx codecs, but that usually only solves a small number of the best-encoded adul... cough... dvd videos.