Apple trademarked xSAN what do you think it will be?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Check out this post on Mac Rumors:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=65966

Apple in the enterprise part 2. Apple seems to making a pretty serious push into Storage, and the Xserves are popular for data centers. What is next? Software for easy SAN set up?

correction by Brad

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    Maybe this will be a 1U based storage device? I could see that coming since the Xserve G5 and Xserve RAID are so popular... Max of 1TB of hot swap storage for only $1500 would be cool... $1.5/GB is not that bad for network storage...
  • Reply 2 of 13
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    SAN - Storage Area Network. xSAN would be just that. Not much else it could be really.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    xTensible Sandbag Applying Nutcase!

It's a solution for those times when the river, she is a'risin', and you don't have enough manic people around to sling sandbags for the CNN video shot! Duh!
  • Reply 4 of 13
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    xSAN == people really, really, really like the Xserve RAID, and they want to buy lots of them, and they want to organize them all into one big happy network node with gobs and gobs of bandwidth.

This is a very good sign.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

xSAN == people really, really, really like the Xserve RAID, and they want to buy lots of them, and they want to organize them all into one big happy network node with gobs and gobs of bandwidth.

This is a very good sign.

You mean that we are going to get Quake III 1.33 with support for network-grids? Oh yeah!!
  • Reply 6 of 13
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    SAN solutions seems like a very high end server solution. If they go that way, they can be doing other stuff too like blades and four way systems too. Wouldn't it be nice to see an Xblade-module that fit right into IBMs Blade Center chassis? After all the JS20 seems a lot like a Mac in IBM's clothing.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

SAN solutions seems like a very high end server solution. If they go that way, they can be doing other stuff too like blades and four way systems too. Wouldn't it be nice to see an Xblade-module that fit right into IBMs Blade Center chassis? After all the JS20 seems a lot like a Mac in IBM's clothing.

I was just reading the specs on the JS20 and it is using the 970, not the FX. And max speed at this point is 1.6.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Maybe it means there'll be a SAN family, including larger RAID arrays (3-5 shelves would be nice and lift Apple into multi-terabyte space), rebadged switches (Brocade) and tape drives (ADIC) would be good as well.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    An Apple based blade system would be awesome. You think IBM would let them compete though

I still would like to see a 1U 4 disk RAID system that is somewhere around $1500 or so. It could be accessed via gigabit enet or fiber. Up to 1TB would be nice. All SATA hard drives and hot swappable. Basically the Xserve RAID mini I know that I could potentially use something like this more then an Xserve RAID...

corrections by Brad
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by tfworld

I still would like to see a 1U 4 disk RAID system that is somewhere around $1500 or so.

with what a 603 180MHz cpu? Not likely, at $1,500 for a RAID setup. You can't even get an Xserve (or any other 1U RAID name-brand server) for under $3,000.00 as it is. You CAN add a hardware PCI RAID card to a 1U Xserve though. Not too many people offer RAID5 in a 1U server, none that I can think of.

corrections by Brad
  • Reply 11 of 13
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Not likely, at $1,500 for a RAID setup. You can't even get an Xserve (or any other 1U RAID name-brand server) for under $3,000.00 as it is.

A 1U RAID could be cheaper than an Xserve because it wouldn't have any 970s in it.

Doing the math, a no-drive Xserve RAID is $4,000; if you "cut it in half" by eliminating the redundant everything it could potentially be under $2,000.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Hence why it would be so awesome for Apple to offer a 1U based RAID system! Noone makes one, especially as cool as Apple could make it... Also, it would not need a CPU, just a raid controller. I would buy one if they made it!
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by tfworld

Hence why it would be so awesome for Apple to offer a 1U based RAID system! Noone makes one, especially as cool as Apple could make it... Also, it would not need a CPU, just a raid controller. I would buy one if they made it!

That just doesn't make sense. Why release a 1U RAID, when you can pack an Xserve RAID as they already have (vertical)? You can only get 4 drives in a 1U RAID anyway. 1/n loss makes more sense in a vertical RAID like the Xserve RAID, rather than a 1/4 (at least) in a 1U design.

Anyway, a SAN would take care of any concerns for RAID. Just connect the servers to the SAN and be done with it.

If RAID is what you are looking for, Apple makes the best 1U servers around. Show me another 1U that offers RAID5 or where you can get a decent AGP graphics video system in a server. Didn't think you could.

corrections by Brad