HTML HELP NEEDED - please :)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, I have a question

I want to create a link that if someone clicks on it text will be copyed to the "clip board"

example: if someone clicked on the link below ....

html.blah.balh.balh.748373730938383030338.end.code

It would put "748373730938383030338" into the clip board

I did a google search, I guess there is such a code "copyToClipboard" - I just need to know how to write the entire string...

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    That's not HTML; that's JavaScript.

Although I can't help you with the actual code (I steer totally clear of JavaScript whenever possible), I must ask: why on earth would you want such an intrusive and destructive action on a web page? I might be pissed if I had something on my clipboard and clicking a link on some guy's web site deleted it.

My 2¢
  • Reply 2 of 5
    m.o.s.tm.o.s.t Posts: 255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

That's not HTML; that's JavaScript.

Although I can't help you with the actual code (I steer totally clear of JavaScript whenever possible), I must ask: why on earth would you want such an intrusive and destructive action on a web page? I might be pissed if I had something on my clipboard and clicking a link on some guy's web site deleted it.

My 2¢

"That's not HTML; that's JavaScript."

There is no HTML code ?

Something like the "mailto:" but.....

"why on earth would you want such an intrusive and destructive action on a web page?"

More so for email.. I know its not hard to select, copy a string of text... .. just looking to make as few steps as possible
  • Reply 3 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by M.O.S.T

"why on earth would you want such an intrusive and destructive action on a web page?"

More so for email.. I know its not hard to select, copy a string of text... .. just looking to make as few steps as possible

Look into the arguments you can pass with a mailto: command. I believe you can include things like "body" and "subject" if you want. This may be easier and less problematic than the javascript you're thinking about. And I'd be PISSED if anything wrote to MY clipboard. I've got shadowclipboard (holds a number of clipboard items) so it wouldn't be too destructive, but most people aren't using some sort of multiple clipboard program.

edit: check here for details. HTH.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

On a side note - never put an unencoded email address in a mailto.

I'm following everything so far but you lost me with "unencoded email address"... how do you encode an address, does the mailto link still work without user "unencoding", etc. ??