iBook battery light blinking

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just noticed tonight that the light on my iBook battery is blinking constantly. It is charging faster than I thought it should as well (like capacity is down drastically all of a sudden so less battery to charge). Has anyone else noticed this sort of behavior? I've never removed my battery from my laptop. I might tonight to see if it helps anything.

Assuming my battery may be packing it in finally, would a new battery work? Would the colour match my iBook too? For reference, I have a 600Mhz G3 iBook.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    It sounds like your battery is on its way out. The blinking is a pretty good indicator of that. You should be able to find the very same battery from Apple or elsewhere on the web.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Umm, doesn't it just blink when it's charging? Mine does.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Umm, doesn't it just blink when it's charging? Mine does.

I guess that's possible. I never look on the underside of my PBook while it's charging, so I'd never notice if it does.

I know on my Pismo, the battery has died. If you try to push the battery level button, it blinks rapidly for a couple seconds and then goes off. No battery workey.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    Well. I removed it and it quit blinking. I then put the battery back in and charged it overnight with the iBook powered off. Seems to be working normally now. Hopefully, it keeps lasting me. Currently, the capacity is only 1702. Seems to be getting lower each charge.

As for the blinking, I've never noticed that before. I did notice it because the transparent outer shell carries the light to the edge of the notebook so you can see it from the front when in a dark room. Maybe the battery got too low for the level indicator to make any sense of the data?