Anyone think Microsoft will switch to IBM's PowerPC???

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Forget about Apple switching to Intel. How about Microsoft switching to PowerPC??? Just curious what anyone thought on this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    They already have, with the next version of the Xbox.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I think he meant to run MS Windows. In that case, no way.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    macvaultmacvault Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I think he meant to run MS Windows. In that case, no way.

Yes, I meant for Windows. There was a post at Mac OS Rumors a couple days ago speculating that MS might just do that, evidenced by their use of the PowerPC in the XBox and the new naming scheme of the Intel processors.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Microsoft doesn't make the PCs that windows runs on. So no, Microsoft won't switch to PPC to run Windows. They may "ask" the PC box manufacturers to do so though. Who knows?

I doubt it though.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    No way .... unless I'm missing something, all software companies would have to re-write their apps, which they are already doing for Longhorn. Besides, it would create far too much confusion for consumers.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

No way .... unless I'm missing something, all software companies would have to re-write their apps, which they are already doing for Longhorn. Besides, it would create far too much confusion for consumers.

Exactly. It would totally destroy Windows legacy support. And that's about all they have going for them right now.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macvault

There was a post at Mac OS Rumors a couple days ago

For your own sake, here's a tip:

Never take seriously anything from Mac OS Rumors.

They have a long-proven track record of literally making up nearly everything they post. MOSR is the ass-end of news/rumor reporting sites. MOSR is a sad joke. Some of us visit it just for a laugh occasionally because we know it's all fiction.

That said, it would be simply impossible for Microsoft to pull a switch like this. It would mean abandoning hundreds of millions of computers, hundreds of thousands of software titles, and billions of dollars.

The same reason Apple is stuck with PPC is the same reason Microsoft (and AMD and Intel) are stuck with x86: inertia and compatibility. The instant you switch to a CPU with a different ISA, you make incompatible every program ever written for your platform (except Java apps). Every program will (at best) have to be recompiled and rereleased or (at worst) rewritten from scratch.

No executive of a multi-billion dollar company is stupid enough to make such a move.

edit: Oops, I didn't see the cool gut and DMB's posts. That have the right idea too.