Choice Digital Cameras

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I was wondering what the best (5 megapixels or above) digital camera is on the market. I'm not really looking for a simple point and shoot, meaning I would like some level of a professional camera (eg. adding extra wide-angle lenses, etc.) Also, money is a minor factor, not huge, but the best camera for the money would be the best of course.

Thanks

Logan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Logan

I was wondering what the best (5 megapixels or above) digital camera is on the market. I'm not really looking for a simple point and shoot, meaning I would like some level of a professional camera (eg. adding extra wide-angle lenses, etc.) Also, money is a minor factor, not huge, but the best camera for the money would be the best of course.

Thanks

Logan

This is a timely post because I'm in the market as well. I realize there are several other threads about this recently but I didn't *start* this one so I'm hoping it stays open.
  • Reply 2 of 77
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    So far the best one for the money and the specs that I've found is the

Fuji FinePix S7000. Anyone know any pros or cons about it? Anyone have it? Or know of better cameras?

Logan
  • Reply 3 of 77
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    you're questions might best be answered at

http://www.dpreview.com

It is a website dedicated to digital cameras. they have tons of reviews and a forum where you can ask questions.
  • Reply 4 of 77
    osxaddictosxaddict Posts: 131member
    I prefer the Nikon D70. it got great reviews at DPreview.com and it is really nice.

Here are some pics I took if you want to see the quality. This is with the stock 18-70mm lens that comes with it.
  • Reply 5 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by OSXaddict

I prefer the Nikon D70. it got great reviews at DPreview.com and it is really nice.

Here are some pics I took if you want to see the quality. This is with the stock 18-70mm lens that comes with it.

I saw your thread earlier and I'm jealous as hell. I WANT that camera but I don't think I could swing the $1300 for it. Short of that, what would you recommend?
  • Reply 6 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

I saw your thread earlier and I'm jealous as hell. I WANT that camera but I don't think I could swing the $1300 for it. Short of that, what would you recommend?

torifile,

How about the Canon 300D / Digital Rebel? They are around £900 including kit lens here in the UK, and I think around $900-1000 in the US. It could be a good bet if you're not completely set on the Nikon, or if you don't have any Nikon compatible lenses. Unfortunately I don't know how it compares with the Nikon D70 in terms of features though - perhaps Eugene might chip in, as he knows a lot about these things .

Dave.
  • Reply 7 of 77
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    My pics: Canon Digital Rebel, Konika Minolta A2, Pentax *ist D or E1, Canon G5, Fugifilm S20, Nikon 8700, Olympus C-8080, Olympus E-1, or the Sony DSC-828. Hard to say which is best. The digital Rebel is very popular for good reason. I have the predesessor to the A2, the A1, and it's a very good camera. The Nikon is a good bet too. None is going to give you everything, so it's up to you to decide which pros and cons work best for you. DPReview is an excellent site. Also look at www.dcresource.com and http://www.imaging-resource.com especially the former sInce it does pay more attention to Mac users' concerns.
  • Reply 8 of 77
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    keep in mind when purchasing a camera what glass (lenses) you want as well. If you already have a non digital nikon, then you might consider going with a nikon D70 or D100, they will let you use the same glass. Same with Canon. The other thing to keep in mind is that sometimes the glass costs more than the body (camera) itself.

in terms of pricing, we're just seeing sub $1000 pro digital cams hitting the market. The Canon Rebel 300D and the Nikon D70 (both mentioned earlier) are currently the only cams in that range. Most pro digital cameras cost way more than that.

Finding the right cam depends on you, and what you need (what exactly you want to shoot). Try hitting a local camera shop and test out the cams yourself. That way you get a "feel" for the camera and how it operates. Bring your own CF card and take sample shots with each camera. Some camera shops will allow you to do that. It's the only real way to find out if a certain camera is right for you and what you want to shoot.
  • Reply 9 of 77
    Well I think I'm in the market for a camera in the $700 range. As I said earlier, the Fuji Finepix S7000 caught my attention. Does anyone have any experience with it or know anything about it?

Logan
  • Reply 10 of 77
    Quote:

Well I think I'm in the market for a camera in the $700 range. As I said earlier, the Fuji Finepix S7000 caught my attention. Does anyone have any experience with it or know anything about it?

Logan

I know it's on clearance at best buy right now. $466 after rebate.
  • Reply 11 of 77
    Anyone have anything else? Like any reason for me not to get it?

Logan
  • Reply 12 of 77
    thedustinthedustin Posts: 176member
    Check these two threads here and here.

_thedustin
  • Reply 13 of 77
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The only things I've heard against the Fugi S7000 are that it's slow for some functions, that it doesn't have as many manual options or as fine control of them, and some compain that the lens is a bit low-end.

The Minolta A1 is similar with a better lens (less distortion and vignetting with a wider angle zoom), more manual options, the anti-shake mechanism, and IMO, better menus and heads-up display. It's weakness is arguably its image processing which is probably the most conservative of any camera in that range, so sensor noise is more apparent unless one does some post-processing. KM discontinued it for the A2, but retailers might still have it in stock for about the same price, maybe more.

The Nikon 5400 is also much cheaper now that the 8700 has supplanted it. Its menus are sort of wonky, it takes very good images but has trouble focusing in low light. I can't think of much else about it.
  • Reply 14 of 77
    I guess that's it?
  • Reply 15 of 77
    Quote:

I guess that's it?

i'm not sure what you want exactly. There were 2 other threads linked here, some discussion about high end consumer cameras, links to resources, etc.

Do you want us to tell you which one to buy, too. Or would you prefer we just buy one and have it shipped to your door all charged up? You've got to do *a little* work yourself.
  • Reply 16 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

i'm not sure what you want exactly. There were 2 other threads linked here, some discussion about high end consumer cameras, links to resources, etc.

Do you want us to tell you which one to buy, too. Or would you prefer we just buy one and have it shipped to your door all charged up? You've got to do *a little* work yourself.

A little attitude problem is what you got. Anyway, I thought I'd try to get the most out of you guys as I could... Yeah I mean I shouldn't be posting on this board, its not like theres 1000 ppl here with over 3000 posts that don't have anything else in their lives to do but post here to other ppls problems. Oh wait, almost everyone here fits that criteria. Sorry.
  • Reply 17 of 77
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    If you want to save money, get the S7000. It can in some instances produce the same or more detail than the 8MP prosumers, and has a better ISO 200 than most high MP small sensor cams.

For the price, I think that the only real complaint about the S7000 is that lacks a nice wide end at only 35mm equivalent.

sub 500 versus 1K for the rest of the prosumer crowd is a big big differnece. At 1K, the Canon and Nikon DSLRs are the only game, but at 500, the S7000 is the nicest camera to hold and use for that price.
  • Reply 18 of 77
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    What about autofocus performance on these smaller all-in-one "prosumer" cameras? Have they gotten better since, say, the Nikon Coolpix 950? This is one aspect that still justifies having an SLR in my opinion, but if owners of the higher-end P&S models could give their own usage experiences, that would be cool.
  • Reply 19 of 77
    Quote:

A little attitude problem is what you got. Anyway, I thought I'd try to get the most out of you guys as I could... Yeah I mean I shouldn't be posting on this board, its not like theres 1000 ppl here with over 3000 posts that don't have anything else in their lives to do but post here to other ppls problems. Oh wait, almost everyone here fits that criteria. Sorry.

I never said you shouldn't be posting on this board. You started a thread, got some good responses and you're not satisfied. Do some of the work yourself. Go read the reviews of the cameras you're interested. Take into consideration what people said in *this* thread and *others*. Get off your ass and do your own work.

I make this comment only in light of your other recent threads where you say "why search when I can post here and find out without doing work?"

WTF is up with the attitude anyway? You're not entitled to *anything* just by virtue of posting here. I'd like to welcome you to my ignore list.
  • Reply 20 of 77
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,561member
    We used a Nikon CoolPix 950 until last November when we stepped up to the Canon Digital Rebel. It is a truly wonderful camera. It is relatively lightweight, it is easy to use and the pictures look great.

I chose it mainly for the sensitivity. The big problem we had with the Nikon was poor sensitivity. You could frame a nice shot but then the camera wanted to set the shutter speed to something like one half second. The Canon has very low noise electronics. We can shoot pictures at ISO 800 on the Canon that are at the same noise level as the CoolPix at ISO 100. To me this is a huge benefit because now I can shoot pictures at 1/20 or 1/30 that were impossible otherwise.

We also got the Canon 28-135mm IS lens. If you go for a digital SLR your next adventure will be choosing lenses. I think it is more complicated than choosing the camera body. The difference is very apparent though.

I'll second what the others have said. dpreview.com is a great asset when comparing cameras.