iCal - Why Doesn't the Date Update in the Dock?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I may be way off base here, but I find it rather silly that the date doesn't automatically update in the dock. I always have to click on it even when I have to intention to use the program. Is there any way to fix this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Maybe Apple needs to write some kind of plugin architecture for the dock? That way programs like iCal can install their plugin and have the icon and other stuff update when it's not running.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    What I do is make ical a start up item with auto hide enabled. That way the date updates on my doc but i dont have to see the program unless I want to.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    bluerabbitbluerabbit Posts: 105member
    System preferences --> Accounts --> Startup Items tab --> click the '+' button, select iCal, then the Hide checkbox
  • Reply 4 of 7
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BlueRabbit

System preferences --> Accounts --> Startup Items tab --> click the '+' button, select iCal, then the Hide checkbox

Sure. But if you make iCal a Startup Item, the whole application will be running all the time, even if hidden. Won't that gobble up a whole lot of system resources? On my slow-poke iBook/500Mhz/544MB RAM, I try to minimize overhead by avoiding too many processes running in the background. For those who don't have powerful systems, and who don't have iCal open all the time, a small app that updates the date every day at midnight (or on startup), but quits itself after that, might make more sense.

Of course, I guess I won't have to worry about this once I upgrade to a Rev.C 1.25Ghz 12-inch PowerBook G4 later this year. And I use the system clock in the menu bar anyway...

Escher
  • Reply 5 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Sure. But if you make iCal a Startup Item, the whole application will be running all the time, even if hidden. Won't that gobble up a whole lot of system resources?

iCal is running on my machine when ever its on. In the background, it goes from 0% to the occasional high water mark of... 1.4%. OMG!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    My problem with having iCal running all the time is that if an alarm comes up, it brings iCal to the foreground when I click to dismiss the alarm. This is exceedingly annoying. If iCal isn't running, dismissing the alarm doesn't change my foreground application.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    torifile, I have a solution to your problem:

Follow carefully.

Ready?

F9...Click.

Whoah!