XP burnted CD's!!!!!!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This is the fourth time this week i've been asked by my dad, If i can open this image CD on my mac. The resulting question has been a no-chance, Because it was created on windows XP's built in burner software.

The disc comes from a journalist who writes for my dads magazine, And has been repeatedly been asked to just download nero's demo and burn it as a data disc on his XP machine so it can be opened on me dads mac. Having worked way too many hours this week, not long been up, lack of coffee and not enough nicotine, I've talked to this bloke, explained to him the problem what he needs to do, I even explained to him what standards are and now i'm ready for the vallium!! What he was addament on saying is that MS says that a disc burnt with XP's built in software can be used on any other computer. What they haven't said is, So long as it's windows !! This problem should be part of the EU's anti-trust case, And with the amount of hair i've pulled out this week over this issue i'm going to sue!!!

Anyway, rant over back to the question...Is there a way,hint,software solution to viewing these discs in OSX?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    AFAIK, the trash can under your table is the best place for those CDs. IIRC, the problem is that the Windows CD-burning software is intentionally flawed because it is an ugly hack which covers an old bug for backward compatibility. If my memory doesn't fail, long ago they had a bug when Windows failed to close a burnt session, so instead of fixing the bug they made a crippled driver which reads the crippled disks.

Let's hope some crazy geeks reverse-engineer it and port to OS X.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

they had a bug when Windows failed to close a burnt session, so instead of fixing the bug they made a crippled driver which reads the crippled disks.

Correct.

Have your father tell the punk "journalist" to either download a decent CD-burning program or that his work will be rejected outright since it cannot be read and that he will not get paid for any of his work. That should light a fire under his ass.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Correct.

Have your father tell the punk "journalist" to either download a decent CD-burning program or that his work will be rejected outright since it cannot be read and that he will not get paid for any of his work. That should light a fire under his ass.

Apparently he's got a little under 4 weeks to figure it out.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I continually encounter this problem from people burning from Roxio's Windows software.....is this the same deal? Why can't Roxio maintain an internal continuity (if there is in fact a true discrepancy)?

I'd love to know what burn software to recommend to my unfortunate PC-using friends!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

I continually encounter this problem from people burning from Roxio's Windows software.....is this the same deal? Why can't Roxio maintain an internal continuity (if there is in fact a true discrepancy)?

I'd love to know what burn software to recommend to my unfortunate PC-using friends!

In my experience, Nero is the best burning software available. I like it almost as much as I like toast.