Linux on the g5???

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/04/0...id=185&tid=187

That slashdot story talks about 64-bit yellow dog linux for the PMG5. my question and reason for this post is, basicly, WTF?

why run linux when you just ploped down 3k for one of the best hardware propriatery unix distros on earth, osx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

why run linux when you just ploped down 3k for one of the best hardware propriatery unix distros on earth, osx

Because you can.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Why not? Not everyone shares your enthusiasm of the G5 (although I do!) but also you have linux geeks who don't want OS X, but maybe want the power of a G5. Apple doesn't care if you use their software, they get money from their hardware.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    If you go to terrasofts website you'll see it comes loaded with Yellow Dog Linux and OS X.

Few people would argue that choice is a bad thing.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    You would run Linux to run Linux.

In other words, you have software that has been designed for Linux that you need to run. Possibly software designed for Linux clusters (using Terrasoft's Black Lab). So you buy Linux. It's that simple.

Not all Linux code is written so it instantly runs on OS X.

Barto
  • Reply 5 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

You would run Linux to run Linux.

In other words, you have software that has been designed for Linux that you need to run. Possibly software designed for Linux clusters (using Terrasoft's Black Lab). So you buy Linux. It's that simple.

Not all Linux code is written so it instantly runs on OS X.

Barto

If you write a program for linux, can you just recompile it and run it on linux for mac then, or does it have to be rewritten specially?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    The PPC platform is GREAT for running Linux... Apple just so happens to be the best company that uses it.

I can see myself running Linux on a G5, But it would be a close call.. I would have to get some one on one time with OSX first.

Also some people want the power of the PPC platform and the G5 but need a fully non-closed source OS. These people might be PPC based Linux developers.

YDL also does a good job with clustering and depending on the code that you want to run OSX my not cut it.

I say, good job to the hard workers over at Terra Soft!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

If you write a program for linux, can you just recompile it and run it on linux for mac then, or does it have to be rewritten specially?

It depends on how "portable" the code is in the program. Apple is gradually adding Linux APIs to Mac OS X, so less code needs to be changed. Many programs "just work" because they were designed from the start (or from a long time ago) to work on a range of platforms (Linux, BSD, Cygwin etc).

Barto
  • Reply 8 of 9
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I thought all linux code could function in BSD because linux and unix are so simmeler, my mistake,

and to the comment about choice being a bad thing: Choice is great, but when it comes to linux and unix, i guess it just seems like belt and suspenders to me
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I thought all linux code could function in BSD because linux and unix are so simmeler, my mistake,

and to the comment about choice being a bad thing: Choice is great, but when it comes to linux and unix, i guess it just seems like belt and suspenders to me

To be picky, BSD is not UNIX either That's why it's called BSD