Compressing Word files, Mac to Wintel

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi,

I regularly send Word files from my Mac (OS 9.0.4) to Wintel recipients. By adding the suffix ".doc" to the files it all goes smoothly Recently one of them requested me to zip a file for him.

(He was on a trip from Europe to the USA, using his Wintel laptop in a hotel with a slooow connection).

Can somebody please tell me how to zip a Mac MS Word file on my Mac so that a Wintel recipient can open it?

Peace

eric j

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I think Stuffit "Standard Edition" comes with a trial version of DropZip that should do the job for you.

http://www.stuffit.com/mac/index.html
  • Reply 2 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I think Stuffit "Standard Edition" comes with a trial version of DropZip that should do the job for you.

http://www.stuffit.com/mac/index.html

Why can't you just "Create archive of "file.doc" from the File menu (or Actions button)?

That will compress it as a .zip standard file that PC users can decompress.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Why can't you just "Create archive of "file.doc" from the File menu (or Actions button)?

That will compress it as a .zip standard file that PC users can decompress.

He's on OS 9.2.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Ahem? actually he's on 9.0.4, and DropZip should do the job wonderfully, as Brad suggested.

Here's to reading the post you guys!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

Ahem? actually he's on 9.0.4, and DropZip should do the job wonderfully, as Brad suggested.

Quiet you.

"Who uses OS 9, anyway?"
  • Reply 6 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

Hey, at least I was in the right ballpark. (And I could have *sworn* he said 9.2.2. :shrugs
  • Reply 7 of 7
    eric jeric j Posts: 43member
    Thanks everybody - also to those who didn't notice I use OS 9.0.4 - at least you tried to help.

In fact I have an eMac with OS X and OS 9.2.2 but am more comfortable with my old PPC 8500. It does all I want and hardly ever crashes. If I go to OS X, I will need to invest in new software. Why should I, when the old stuff works perfectly well for me?

BTW, my only reason for buying the eMac was that my trusty laser printer developed a fault and nobody seems willing (or able) to repair it. All new printers need USB. Tried fitting a USB card to the 8500, but couldn't get it to work.

Peace

eric j