Career Changes...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Is there anyone out there who has gone from doing helpdesk to getting out of helpdesk and doing something else? If so, how did you do it?

Here's my dilemma. I do heldpesk right now and it sucks. It's basically customer service for IT. That's all I've been doing for my whole 'career' and I want to get out. I'm thinking round the clokc on ways to get out and what else to do but I'd like to hear other people's thoughts...and how could I do this and still get paid to do it??

quesions, questions questions...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Join the Marine Corps. I guarantee you they won't give you helldesk duty
  • Reply 2 of 7
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Becareful not to get so dissatisfied that you end up getting fired.

The job market is atrocious now. Start slowly by getting work on the side if you can. Don't switch until you have decent savings and a good offer.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Well. . . do a skills assessment.

If you feel you're up to it, start a helpdesk company in India.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    And then sell it to IBM.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yes, join the Corps. You'll be better for it.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Be all you can be, man.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Do you still want to be in IT? If you do, learn to program. Programming tends to bring in a lot of cash, especially if you're good at it. (at least for me it has)

I was having this conversation with my boss the other day. He was saying our salaries are much higher than the other IT staff because we actually produce things that can generate income. You poor helpdesk bastards go unnoticed.

Same goes for Sys/Network Admins. Sure they have to keep the network up and running but no one notices till it's down.